The BlazeSports Adaptive Sports and Recreation Vocation Coordinator will implement vocation, movement, physical activity and nutrition programs and events for individuals with disabilities in collaboration with the BlazeSports program staff.
About BlazeSports America
BlazeSports’ mission is to change the lives of individuals with physical disabilities through adaptive sport and recreation.
BlazeSports America, is the two-time recipient of the United States Olympic Committee’s “Rings of Gold” award for program development (youth and veteran adaptive sports). As the legacy of the 1996 Atlanta Paralympic Games, BlazeSports offers adaptive sport and recreation programs in Georgia, national training and education opportunities and innovative sport for development programs in developing countries.
BlazeSports America is a member of the US Olympic Committee’s Affiliate Organization Council, the US member to Cerebral Palsy International Sport and Recreation and member of Laureus Sport for Good. Learn more at www.blazesports.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for development and implementation of a physical activity, leadership and vocation readiness program for children and adults with disabilities including programs in school, at identified partner facilities, stand-alone Blaze programs and BlazeTOTS. These programs aims to connect health and employment goals. Develop new curriculum that will be used in the above implementation and will be customized for specific educational programs. Provide BlazeSports support to participants participating in a transition service or Pre-Employment Transition service in schools and at partner locations.
- Responsible for implementing 6-week movement and physical activity programs with the BlazeTOTS program at early childcare centers across metro Atlanta for toddlers with disabilities.
- Implement BlazeDays in schools 6-8 times per year. Lead presentations for education professionals to promote various programs and training opportunities. Manage the BlazeSports In- School Program. This program helps middle and high school students with disabilities connect sport to success in preparation for vocational or educational goals. Develop and lead an intern and volunteer group for assistance in the implementation of programs
- Assist with planning related events including Toddler Games and Community Play Days Create an organized system for collecting and tracking partner data. Integrate YouthLead curriculum into all applicable programs Order equipment as needed and preparing partnership equipment
- Special Event Management - Assist with full staff special events such as but not limited to Tennis Tournament, BPSJ, Summer Camp, PPG, Clinics, Conference.
- Assist with other tasks as needed Travel – up to 20% of travel within the Metro Atlanta area and limited travel to other areas in Georgia is required for this position.
- Preferred Bachelors in one of the following areas: therapeutic recreation, adaptive physical activity, exercise science or other related skills Highly organized with program development experience strongly encouraged Experience in working with people with disabilities in a community-based setting. Minimum 1-2 years.
- Passion for physical activity, adaptive sports and recreation programs for individuals with a physical disability.
- Experience in community-based sports and recreation programming.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- CPR and First Aid certification required.
- SafeSport certification required, will be provided.
- Valid driver’s license with clear driving record.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to development
- new programs and lead/facilitate groups.
- Proactive, positive attitude with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Superior organization skills.
- Must be mature, enthusiastic, energetic and able to relate well to a wide variety of people.
- Must be team oriented.
- Evening and weekend hours required in support of our programs.
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Ability to work inside and outside, in temperatures that may reach 100 degrees F (seasonally/occasionally), and in inclement weather for brief periods of time.
- Ability to perform regular vigorous work activity that may involve lifting (25 lbs. or more), loading vans/vehicles, setting up for events & programs, etc.
Drug Testing and Background Checks are required as a condition of employment and are routinely repeated throughout employment.
BlazeSports America provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.