POSITION TITLE: Senior/Associate of Operations and Organizational Culture
REPORTING TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: This position is based in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Wealth Building Initiative (AWBI) is currently operating under a hybrid work policy, with the majority of our staff primarily working remotely except for one anchor day each week when all staff are expected to work in the office. Individuals may be required to work in the office or attend in-person meetings or events when it is necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of their job.
Atlanta Wealth Building Initiative (AWBI) is a catalytic nonprofit that seeks to achieve shared prosperity by building Black wealth through community wealth-building strategies. We are a community of investors, advocates, and activists working to transform systems and structures of capital to create opportunities for Black residents in Atlanta and across the South. We promote an understanding of community wealth-building strategies to cultivate the engagement, capacity, and leadership necessary to shape a new economic narrative.
By challenging systemic bias and introducing new systems and structures of capital, AWBI aims to re-engineer and redesign the economic ecosystem such that all sectors, from small businesses to large corporations to anchor institutions, philanthropy, nonprofits, and government, consider day-to-day how to integrate the economic well-being of our most disinvested communities into their strategy, operations, and policies. To learn more about AWBI’s commitment and motivation to build Black wealth, please read our manifesto, The Beloved Economy: The imperative to build Black wealth.
As a pivotal player within AWBI, the Senior/Associate of Operations and Organizational Culture is tasked with championing operational excellence and nurturing a vibrant, inclusive workplace. Balancing efficiency with empathy, this role serves as the backbone of AWBI’s internal environment, ensuring our mission is mirrored in our day-to-day activities and staff experiences. The Senior Associate of Operations and Organizational Culture plays a crucial role in fostering a high-performing, collaborative, and inclusive work environment, ensuring efficiency and excellence across all departments. This individual is responsible for supporting overall operations (including HR, Technology, Finance, etc), managing administrative functions, and providing day-to-day leadership to ensure smooth and efficient business processes.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker, an effective communicator, and a proactive leader committed to driving excellence and efficiency across the organization. More importantly, the ideal candidate finds joy in serving in an internal operational role and thrives on supporting their team members.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the job’s primary functions include:
Administrative Leadership: Manage office logistics, ensuring the seamless function of our physical and digital workspaces.
- Provide leadership for all internal AWBI team meetings such as weekly anchor meetings, lunch and learn gatherings, etc.
- In partnership with the Special Assistant to the CEO, perform general administrative duties such as mail handling, office supply management, and other duties as needed.
- Manage AWBI’s Operations Calendar and manage company bookings at the Russell Innovation Center for Entrepreneurs, where our offices are located.
- Provide strong executive support to the COO and other members of the senior leadership team as needed. Manage team members' travel using SAP Concur.
Operational Excellence & Internal Resilience: Architect and refine cross-departmental processes, elevating our operational framework to drive effective outcomes.
- Lead the design, implementation, and refinement of scalable operational processes and workflows across departments to ensure deadlines are met and projects meet AWBI’s standards.
- Lead or participate in operational projects, ensuring they are completed on time and within budget. Assist in the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures, ensuring practices are documented and easily accessible for staff.
- Serve as the key administrator for AWBI’s technology tools, including Monday.com, SAP Concur, Salesforce, and the MS Office Suite of tools.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify areas of operational improvement and implement solutions.
- Monitor and evaluate operational processes to ensure quality standards are met and maintained.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and service providers, ensuring that contracts, negotiations, and deliverables are handled appropriately.
Culture and Human Resources: Orchestrate AWBI’s cultural initiatives, ensuring our core values resonate through every aspect of our work environment.
- Working closely with AWBI’s HR consultant to support the following core HR functions: (1) recruitment and hiring, (2) talent and professional development, (3) compensation and benefits, (4) performance management, and (5) policy implementation.
- Provide insight and guidance to the Executive Leadership team on the pulse of internal needs and culture.
- Lead employee-facing internal communications such as events and offerings, upcoming trainings and conferences, information sharing on AWBI’s SharePoint space, etc.
- Develop, manage, and execute cultural programs and initiatives that promote and demonstrate AWBI's core values. Develop a plan to recognize, celebrate, and support employees through highs (birthdays, anniversaries, etc) and lows (loss, stress, etc).
- Lead the planning and execution of AWBI’s annual staff retreat and corresponding mini-retreats.
- Lead feedback loops, including employee surveys and focus groups, to gain insights into cultural strengths and areas for improvement.
- Plan and supervise team-building events, workshops, and other culture-focused activities.
- Foster a positive organizational culture that aligns with our values and mission, creating a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
- Stay abreast of industry trends, ensuring AWBI stays at the forefront of innovation and improvement.
Reporting and Analysis: Facilitate informed decision-making and contribute significantly to the AWBI's ability to respond to operational challenges effectively.
- Lead the creation of AWBI's SOPs and dashboard for Monday.com and Salesforce.
- Support the COO in preparing comprehensive reports for the board of directors that summarize operational outcomes, financial status, and strategic initiatives.
- Compile and communicate relevant information on donors for the Fund Development team as needed.
- Provide support for the annual audit as needed to the COO and Finance Manager.
- Evaluate the use of technology within AWBI to identify opportunities for digital transformation or process automation.
- Regularly review and analyze internal operational metrics to identify trends, challenges, and opportunities for improvement.
- Assess operational risks and develop mitigation strategies to prevent disruptions to organizational activities.
- Compare the organization’s performance against industry benchmarks or similar nonprofits to gauge relative performance and identify best practices.
- Provide regular updates to senior leadership on cultural initiatives and their impact on employee engagement and satisfaction.
Technology & Safety: Oversee the development and implementation of the organization's technology strategy in line with its operational objectives and goals.
- Manage IT vendors, contracts, and service agreements, ensuring that the organization is getting efficient and cost-effective services.
- Work closely with AWBI’s IT company to ensure tasks are completed per AWBI’s needs and within a timely manner.
- Ensure AWBI has strong cybersecurity and disaster recovery plans in place.
- Lead the rollout of new software, delegating administrative functions to other Departments, as necessary.
- Train staff on new technology systems and software, as well as on cybersecurity best practices.
- Manage the inventory of technology and safety equipment and supplies.
- Stay informed on legal changes affecting technology use and safety requirements.
- Support the development of the budget for technology and safety-related expenses.
- Monitor and track technology and safety-related expenses.
- Develop and enforce safety policies and protocols to ensure a safe workplace.
- Conduct regular safety audits and risk assessments to identify potential hazards.
- Ensure AWBI complies with all local, state, and federal safety laws and regulations.
- Serve as the point of contact for safety committees and emergency personnel.
Who you are:
- A proactive leader who derives joy from facilitating the success of others.
- A strategic thinker with a passion for internal operations and a proven track record of enhancing organizational culture.
- An effective communicator who is committed to fostering a collaborative work environment.
- An unapologetic commitment to just outcomes for Black communities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships with diverse audiences.
- Able to express yourself clearly and concisely to different audiences.
- Grace, under pressure, and a good sense of humor.
- Focused and flexible: no matter where it happens, the job gets done.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, Organizational Behavior, Human Resources, or a related field or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in operations, HR, or a similar role emphasizing company culture.
- Nonprofit experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated record to advance race-explicit agendas. Demonstrated success in advancing cultural initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective operational processes from theory to execution.
- Demonstrated ability to work innovatively and independently.
- Strong understanding of industry best practices and a passion for promoting positive work environments.
- Exceptional project management, organizational, and multitasking skills.
- An exceptional eye towards developing and implementing policies where policies may not exist.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in using operational and project management software, including Monday.com, Salesforce, MS Office Suite, and SharePoint.
- Comfortable learning new technologies as needed.
- The salary for this position will range from $72,000-$80,000 based on experience and comes with an excellent benefits package that includes health, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- A mission-driven work environment committed to impact.
- The opportunity to shape the culture and operations of a growing organization. Work with a dedicated, passionate team in a culture of care.
- Opportunities for advancement and professional development.
- Supportive team and leadership
How to Apply:
If you are passionate about economic justice, community wealth-building, and contributing to transformative change, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. The deadline to apply is November 21st. We value your time, so please note that there will be a short assignment for candidates advancing to the final round.