The system is rigged and the solution isn’t just to create more programs for people harmed by these unfair systems. The solution is to reimagine these systems to make our country fairer and more equitable for everyone—which means ensuring that the places where we work, live, play and pray tap into people’s universal drive for wellbeing, instead of undermining wellbeing for some and enabling it for others. That’s what we do.
The Full Frame Initiative (FFI) is a social change nonprofit working toward a country where everyone has a fair shot at wellbeing—the needs and experiences essential for health and hope. We partner with pioneering public systems, communities and nonprofits across the country to fundamentally transform the structures and beliefs that perpetuate inequality. We are bold, focused, creative and committed learners, willing to use our passion, humor and hope to fuel change. FFI is a virtual organization with employees located across the country. Please visit our website to learn more.
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, October 11, 2023, by 5:00pm ET. We will not be reviewing applications received after October 11, 2023.
FFI is helping to lead a growing movement to make this a country where everyone has a fair shot at wellbeing. We’ve built a unique, talented and diverse team committed to this North Star. We have done significant work to increase our alignment with regenerative and liberatory practices and culture.
As the Director of Finance & Operations you will be responsible for ensuring FFI’s organizational effectiveness through smooth and efficient internal operations. You will lead all key operational areas including: finance, human resources, administration, operations, contracting, insurance, compliance and risk. In partnership with FFI’s Leadership Team, you will design and implement strategies to help FFI increase its resiliency and manage strategy during a time of massive change in our country.
We need a leader who can bring structure and process to the right places while allowing our team to retain our adaptive, generative, collaborative and creative approach to achieving our purpose. You would be joining a team that is nimble, fast-paced and committed to emergent strategy; you must be committed to a culture of relationships as much as processes. This is a tremendous opportunity for an innovative finance and operations leader who is passionate about re-imagining how staff, fellows and the broader community work together to achieve a common purpose.
Position Details, Compensation and Benefits
- Classification: Full-time, Exempt, 40+ hours per week
- Location: Remote, United States
- Work Hours: 40+ per week, flexible schedule with the ability to respond to urgent requests that may fall outside of regular business hours
- Annual Salary: $140,000 to $160,000
- Travel Requirement: Anticipate some travel, could be 10-15%.
- Supervises: Senior Manager of Talent, Senior Manager of Finance & Operations, occasional contractors
- Health Coverage: national medical coverage, 75% of total monthly premiums paid by FFI, national dental coverage, 50% of total monthly premium paid by FFI, and national vision coverage, 24% of total monthly premium paid by FFI, Health & Dependent Care FSA, and HRA
- Annual Paid Time Off: 12 holidays, annual week-long office closure in July, up to: three days of service/civic engagement, 120 accrued vacation hours, 96 hours sick/personal leave
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability
- 403(b) retirement savings program with 3% employer contribution on first $100,000 in earnings after one year of full-time employment
- Progressive policies and support to include: annual stipend for professional development, 3 months paid sabbatical after 8 years on staff, up to 12 weeks paid parental leave, up to 72 hours leave in climate emergency, and support for reproductive and gender affirming healthcare.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Finance (50%): Lead oversight and management of all aspects of financial management and accounting:
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of FFI financial activities and identify opportunities to strengthen controls and processes.
- Oversee, analyze, improve and manage regular financial operations: Lead annual budget development, annual audit and external financial reporting and filing.
- Supervise and support the Senior Manager of Finance & Operations on core accounting operations including, but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, bookkeeping, banking and general ledger entries.
- Support FFI’s financial health through forecasting and adjustments to planned activities in consultation with the Leadership Team.
- Appropriately maximize restricted releases to ensure appropriate spend-down on contracts.
- When needed, conduct (vs. support or oversee) day-to-day financial activities
- Lead annual budget development, annual audit and external financial reporting and filing.
- Ensure timely and accurate month-end, year-end and ad hoc reporting, reconciliation and other financial processes, including multi-state employer requirements, and provide Leadership Team and Board with regular reports, as well as respond to specific requests.
- Advise Leadership Team on fiscal strategy, prioritizing anti-racist practices.
- Support staff in learning, adhering to and advancing fiscal policies and strategy to include timely spending and budget management.
Human Resources (30%): Oversight and management of all aspects of Human Resources to help us attract and retain an extraordinary, diverse, passionate, creative workforce, including:
- Supervise and support the Senior Manager of Talent to implement a talent lifecycle that supports employees’ engagement, growth and long-term success at FFI, including injecting fun, collegiality and team building into our virtual organization.
- Evolve and facilitate our full employee lifecycle, including processes for goal setting, performance reviews, professional development and personnel management
- Support workforce planning efforts as our teams grow, evolve and change.
- Serve as the organizational representative for key processes such as our whistleblower and grievance procedures.
- Evolve our HR policies and practices in ways that support resiliency and connection across a virtual organization.
Legal & Compliance (10%)
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal statutes, regulations and requirements (including timely registration and filings in states where FFI operates).
- Serve as the primary contact for FFI’s pro bono HR legal counsel by tracking all legal matters, actively monitoring regulatory changes that may impact FFI and ensuring personnel documents are legally vetted.
- Ensure that the culture and structures of FFI maintain confidentiality.
- Lead the implementation and monitoring of our risk management framework, including overseeing change management.
- Ensure PTO, wages, employee classifications and other benefits tracking is accurate.
- Evolve and build operational systems that support a resilient, inclusive and thriving virtual organization centered on strong partnerships and networks.
- Work with the Leadership Team to de-silo operations, HR, finance, strategy and programs.
- Partner with the Leadership Team to provide input into FFI’s growth plans, organizational structures and annual organization-wide goals.
- Support the engagement of staff and partners in strategic and ongoing planning.
- Design internal communications systems that get the right information to the right people at the right time – while also ensuring people aren't drowning in updates.
Skills & experience
- 7+ years management experience in a nonprofit organization, social impact venture, or small business supporting most of the key functions named above: finance, human resources, administration, operations, contracting, insurance, compliance and risk.
- Depth of non-profit financial knowledge, understanding and experience applying applicable laws and regulations, to include GAAP.
- Experience working with executive teams and boards on budgeting and financial management in a highly unpredictable environment and/or with rapid growth.
- Senior-level HR experience including both compliance (regulatory, policy, filing, etc.) and fostering a strong and vibrant organizational culture.
- Experience hiring, supervising and managing staff; driving accountability; and developing leaders at all levels of an organization.
- Experience supporting a workplace where finance and HR are truly integrated with programmatic and operations work.
- Experience leading multiple complex projects and priorities, demonstrating an ability to navigate through changing and unpredictable circumstances.
- Foundational knowledge of the history and realities of systemic racism, intersectionality and oppression in the United States, and experience analyzing fiscal, operational and cultural practices with an anti-racist lens, as well as creating solutions targeted to root out white supremacist harms.
- You bring a passion for FFI’s mission, including social justice and social change to upend inequities
- You bring fluency in the core precepts of diversity, equity and inclusion and can apply DEI skills in real-world situations while continuing to learn and grow personally and alongside FFI staff
- You push beyond traditional financial, operational or HR practices – bringing a fresh perspective with new ways of looking at organizational structures and long-term resiliency
- You build networks of aligned collaborators and communicate effectively at all levels inside and outside the organization
- You have a strong leadership presence with the ability to align operational strategies with organizational goals
- You bring personal integrity with the ability to manage confidential information and act with fairness and discretion
- You create process and structure while remaining flexible and open to change
- You are able to work effectively and build authentic relationships in a virtual environment that relies heavily on technology (most of our work happens on Google Workspace, Slack, Asana, Zoom and QuickBooks)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required. FFI reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. FFI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and value a variety of experiences. People from historically marginalized and oppressed communities or identities are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, October 11, 2023, by 5:00pm ET. We will not be reviewing applications received after October 11, 2023
How to Apply
FFI is interested in building a high-performing, diverse team. In order to do that we approach hiring a little differently. Rather than analyzing resumes in an attempt to determine potential for success, instead we have built a recruitment process that actively removes unconscious bias. So rather than drafting yet another cover letter, instead, we ask you to begin your application by responding to the question prompts in the application.
- If you are in need of any accommodations during the application or recruitment process please let us know in your application or by contacting our Senior Manager of Talent, Samantha Moelter, samantha@fullframeinitiative[dot]org.
- Please note that your responses to the short question prompts are reviewed individually. In order to allow a more thorough analysis by our hiring team, please do not reference an earlier response when answering a later question as the questions will not be reviewed in conjunction.
- Please do not include linked resources such as websites, social media or publications, as they will not be reviewed by the hiring team.
- While resumes are requested at the time of application, they will not be reviewed by the hiring team until candidates are invited to the interview phase of the process, so you will not want to reference your resume in your responses.