POSITION TITLE: Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
STATUS: Full-Time Exempt
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 30, 2023
John Muir Land Trust (JMLT) protects and cares for open space, ranches, farms, parkland, and shoreline in the East Bay. In three decades, John Muir Land Trust has become one of the leading forces for conservation in Northern California. With 3,900 acres now protected, many of the most beautiful places in the East Bay are permanently preserved for recreation, wildlife habitat, protection of clean drinking water, and scenic views.
The Development Manager will work to engage low- and mid-level individual donors through a variety of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts as part of the annual fund. Additionally, the position will support major gift efforts for our multi-year land acquisition campaigns and work to engage and secure corporate support for our annual signature event. This is an opportunity for someone to work across a variety of fundraising efforts with a team of four other development professionals. John Muir Land Trust is growing, and this is an exciting time to join a leading conservation organization to save more land in the East Bay.
The ideal candidate will have prior successful experience in running annual funds and donor affinity programs, managing events, and raising funds from corporate sponsors. We are looking for someone who is highly pro-active, personable both internally and externally, has good intuition when it comes to donor relations, and feels comfortable navigating detailed, sensitive, and confidential information.
The position will work predominately remotely and as part of a hybrid office work schedule.
- Manage the Leadership Circle donor group ($1k+ annually) including developing the annual renewal package and creating upgrade strategies; sign and write personalized notes on welcome packets to Leadership Circle donors upon enrollment.
- Manage the Friends of Muir donor group ($35 to $999 annually) including developing the annual renewal package. Thank donors personally who make gifts between $500 and $4,999 through calls, notes, email; track stewardship moves in Salesforce.
- Analyze the performance of the annual fund and make recommendations for improvements. Produce two annual Leadership Circle events on JMLT properties.
- Support the major gifts team with a goal of raising $1.8M in major gifts annually.
- Conduct major donor research to help build the major gifts pipeline for multi-year land acquisition campaigns.
- Produce 3-4 small house parties and special events for major donors and prospects annually.
- Engage current and new corporate partnerships in John Muir Land Trust community programs through sponsorship and volunteerism.
- Solicit corporate partners for sponsorship of our annual signature event to increase revenue year over year ($100k+ goal).
- Develop sponsorship levels and associate benefits including associated collateral materials for prospective sponsors; assure sponsorship fulfillment of benefits.
- Attend annual signature event and assume ambassador role with sponsors at event.
- A passion for conservation and/or environmental work; knowledge of land conservation or related areas helpful
- 3-4+ years working in a small to medium size organization, preferably in development
- Demonstrated success in managing annual funds, donor affinity programs, major gift programs, events, and corporate sponsorship efforts
- Keen sense of judgment and discretion in working with donors and sensitive, confidential information
- Proactivity in all areas of work, especially project management and communication with colleagues
- Ability to work on deadline and manage multiple projects Ability to partner effectively with individual staff members and work well in a team environment
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and organize multiple projects
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong computer skills – MS Office, donor databases (knowledge of Salesforce preferred)
- Ability/willingness to be in open space and hike on trails while working
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
JMLT’s Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
John Muir Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of every race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), age, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, military status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other basis as upheld by federal, state or local law.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $65,000 - $80,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision insurance plans; employer contribution to retirement plan after 1 year of employment; paid time off includes 15 paid holidays; paid vacation based on tenure and personal and parental leave in accordance with organizational policies and procedures. This position is located at the John Muir Land Trust office in Martinez, California. Staff work a hybrid model which allows them to work from their home office, JMLT’s main office, and in the field.
Please send a one-page cover letter and your resume to Melanie Hogan, Director of Development at email@example.com by September 30, 2023. No phone calls please.