Job Category: Houseparents
Full-time Job Category: Houseparents Milton Hershey School (MHS) is hiring married couples to be houseparents. Houseparents are the core of MHS. Couples live with and are responsible for a small group of students over several years. Houseparents care for and provide a consistent family-like structure students can rely on and teach skills and values outside of the classroom. Houseparents have a lasting impact. That’s why it’s a career that’s worth every minute!
- Nine days on, three days off
- Mornings: Prepare students for the school day
- School daytime: Attend trainings or enjoy personal time
- Afternoons and evenings: Extracurriculars, chores, meals, homework, and more
- Weekends & Summers: Time for enrichment, recreation, and relaxation.
Milton Hershey School offers an exceptional educational experience to students from lower-income families who are looking for greater opportunities and allows them to explore their individual interests to the fullest. Houseparents collaborate extensively with students’ families and other MHS staff to foster student success and build a community of caregivers. They also handle responsibilities such as driving, administering medication, budgeting, reporting, etc.
Houseparents are responsible for all aspects of student development including spiritual well-being. Couples lead students in daily devotions and take students to Judeo-Christian Sunday chapel services. More info about MHS Religious Programs is available via this link. Proselytizing is prohibited. Today the community is made up of a large diverse, population of students and houseparents from a wide range of backgrounds and faiths, united by a shared commitment to the School’s values: commitment to mission, integrity, positive spirit, and mutual respect.
Houseparents are first hired in a flex role in which couples provide coverage in different student homes until they’re assigned their own home.
- Salary of $42,903 per person (a total estimated compensation package of $150,000 for you and your spouse that includes housing, meals while on duty, utilities, comprehensive benefits, and a combined pre-tax salary)
- Relocation assistance and paid training are provided.
- Experience working or volunteering with youth, preferably youth from under-served settings.
- This is a two-person job for couples legally married for at least two years.
- Both spouses should be age 27 or older.
- No more than two dependent children may reside in the student home.
- Abide by a smoke free and weapon free campus.
- No alcohol is permitted while on duty.
- Limitations on pets. Only fish or one dog of approved breeds permitted.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing and an ability to become certified to drive.
- Skills include leadership, interpersonal, organizational, administrative, computer, budgeting, flexibility, and persistence.
- High school diploma or GED required. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are role models for students.
- Please note - both spouses must complete an individual employment application to be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Milton Hershey School does not discriminate against applicants or employees, in hiring, promotion or any terms or conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion or religious creed, veteran status, disability or use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals, or any other status protected under applicable federal or Pennsylvania law.