Atlanta Wealth Building Initiative (AWBI) is a catalytic nonprofit that seeks to achieve shared prosperity by building Black wealth through community wealth-building strategies. We are a community of investors, advocates, and activists working to transform systems and structures of capital to create opportunities for Black residents in Atlanta and across the South. We promote an understanding of community wealth-building strategies to cultivate the engagement, capacity, and leadership necessary to shape a new economic narrative.
By challenging systemic bias and introducing new systems and structures of capital, AWBI aims to re-engineer and redesign the economic ecosystem such that all sectors, from small businesses to large corporations, to anchor institutions, philanthropy, nonprofits, and government, consider day-to-day how to integrate the economic well-being of our most disinvested communities into their strategy, operations, and policies. To learn more about AWBI’s commitment and motivation to build Black wealth, please read our manifesto The beloved economy: The imperative to build Black wealth.
The Vice President of Development role is a newly created position that will enhance the organization by deepening and broadening its impact through cutting-edge partnership cultivation/management, results-based leadership, collaborative execution, coalition-building, thought leadership and strategic planning support. The VP of Development is responsible for leading AWBI’s fundraising development efforts, facilitating strategic alliances visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP of Development will design and implement a strategic fundraising plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. The VP of Development will also have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing a sustainable fundraising strategy needed to grow AWBI’s budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, philanthropic support from public and private operating foundations. The fundraising strategy will advance AWBI’s impact by curating innovative approaches to diversify the organization's revenue streams and anticipate market trends to promote the organization’s sustainability.
The VP of Development’s primary functions include:
- Fundraising and Development: Leading the successful planning, execution, and evaluation of AWBI’s fund development approach.
- Team Leadership and Management: Working collaboratively with the CEO, executive staff, development team and related consultants as well as a bevy of different public, private and philanthropic partners to develop smart, sustainable investment solutions to some of our community’s most pressing challenges.
- Strategic Communications: Lead AWBI’s brand strategy to position the organization as a visionary expert in collective Black wealth building.
- Manage special events: Design signature events that promote AWBI’s brand and expand our investor/funder base.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising and Development
- Support and partner with the CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Develop long-range strategic asset development and annual work plans, including goals for asset development in accordance with fund development strategy to cultivate and strengthen relationships that ultimately accelerate our impact.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and close major gifts through new prospects, funders, investors, and networks.
- Lead research on funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position AWBI ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Monitor all investor/funder/donor information; provide and present fund development research to board and senior leaders.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with investors/funders/donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
Team Leadership and Administration
- Lead a nimble development team with a joyful, high-performing work culture that prioritizes outstanding results as well as a healthy work environment.
- Work individually with staff to determine appropriate professional development plans, set OKRs, and provide ongoing opportunities to grow and develop people.
- Provide oversight to ensure AWBI has a strong system for maintaining up-to-date and accurate records of contacts with donors, prospects, and professional advisors.
- Provide oversight to ensure effective administration of grants, awards, gifts and maintenance of donor records and communication of investor information, tracking donor contacts and interests, recognizing donors through new and existing programs, and ensuring timely delivery of reports and communications.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to develop and implement AWBI’s financial strategy.
- Actively work with the CEO and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual donors, corporations, foundations, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for coordinating quality control practices for the development and execution of all proposals.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO in leading AWBI’s Activated Capital Committee activities.
- Work closely with the communications team to develop marketing materials for all strategic highlights, development initiatives, and campaigns and to communicate new donor and fund development results to the Board of Directors, donors, and the general community.
- Proactively seek opportunities to share AWBI’s work with community boards, agencies, professional and civic organizations and serve as an external spokesperson for AWBI with a focus on expanding investment opportunities.
- Engage in community outreach and maintain positive relationships with AWBI’s partners, constituents, community, and leaders.
- Ensure AWBI staff is properly represented at key community events such as those at RICE, Pittsburgh Yards, community partners, funder-related events, and membership-driven organizations.
Management of Special Development/Brand Events
- Manage special events that promote AWBI’s visibility, sustainability, and impact.
- Work with marketing support to cultivate appropriate recruiting plans and event collateral to fuel participation and donor engagement.
- Work with other members of the Leadership Team and development-related staff to co-design event strategy and tactics from year to year.
- Identify sponsors and pursue creative and unique opportunities for engagement, support, and activation in AWBI campaigns and events.
More on what we seek in a leader:
- A joy for fundraising, including enthusiasm to make asks and manage relationships.
- Proven record of closing major gifts, campaigns, and awards.
- Proven ability to work as a team player with diverse groups and excellence in managing and developing teams.
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, both internal and external.
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently and be proactive with approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- An unapologetic commitment to racial and economic justice
- High level of integrity, professional maturity, and sound judgment
- A willingness to work outside of traditional business hours, to travel locally and occasionally regionally and nationally.
- Experience: at least 7 years development experience. Progressive leadership and management experience. Experience implementing fund development strategies and campaigns to support revenue growth. Proven record of closing major gifts, campaigns, and awards. Experience with managing complex issues is highly desired. Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Knowledge: Postsecondary training or documented experience in fields that cultivate project management, research, program design and implementation, and nonprofit management, and fundraising. Demonstrated results in fundraising and development are a must. Highly motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Technical skills, abilities, and communication: Excellent written and oral communication skills; Ability to translate (written and verbal) complex issues into easily understandable formats for a range of stakeholder audiences; attention to detail and ability to draft, proof, and edit correspondence and reports on behalf of AWBI is required. Familiarity with project and client management systems is strongly preferred (AWBI currently uses Salesforce CRM System and Monday.com for project management). Public speaking and presentation delivery is required. Effectively listens, understands, and clearly communicates. Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of high-level stakeholders.
- Results Orientation: Must have a proven record of success against measurable objectives at previous companies/non-profits with increasing complexity and responsibility. Driven by determination and high expectations. Sets and achieves high-performance standards related to organizational outcomes and impact. Sets and attains clear, concrete, timely, and measurable results. Maintains a pulse on the organization by effectively assessing situations and developing action plans that produce results.
- Management: Exceptional leadership and management skills, a collaborative management style that centers equity and inclusion, a successful track record of drawing on the talents of people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, and a commitment to staff development. Keen awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics, and the ability to bring a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and social skills to interpersonal work interactions; Ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and grantors, for the maximum benefit of AWBI; Ability to manage staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects; Ability to effectively lead, manage and balance administrative responsibilities as a leader with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives. Demonstrated ability to manage high stakes relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, manage projects and workload of self and others effectively, and engage constructively with the other members of the team, applying a growth mindset.
- Innovation/Creativity: Generates ideas and identifies opportunities that are emblematic of the innovation/creativity required in an organization that assertively precipitates change. Innovative thinker with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output. Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with others, motivate, and lead a team.
- Integrity: Conducts oneself honestly and ensures compliance of organizational policies and procedures; endeavors to protect organizational assets, confidential information and ensures efficient use; follows and adheres to federal, state, and local ethics laws, as well as AWBI conduct policies. Has a strong commitment to doing the right thing; and strives to help others perform their work ethically and safely.
- Compliance and Ethics: Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards in fundraising practices. Maintains confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism in dealing with donor information and sensitive organizational matters.
- Financial Acumen: Understands AWBI’s financial operational structure and functions. Makes timely, strategic, and operational decisions by evaluating and managing financial risk based on business principles and practices. Uses sound financial judgment.
- Values: A commitment to AWBI’s values of inclusion, innovation, impact, collaboration, courage, and sustainability while also remaining committed to AWBI’s mission.
AWBI is prepared to offer a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits. While the minimum salary will be $135,000 the final salary amount will be commensurate with market, operating budget and candidate's experience level.
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter, resume, and sample work portfolio. Inquiries may also be directed to email@example.com.