The Whale Foundation is on a mission to provide support services that promote, restore, and celebrate the health and well-being of the Grand Canyon river guiding community.
We are looking for a highly skilled, forward-thinking Executive Director who can drive the organization to fulfill its mission of providing confidential counseling services through a network of partner providers, as well as scholarships for education, health insurance assistance, health and wellness resources, and financial literacy.
- Responsible for leading and managing The Whale Foundation in alignment with its mission and strategic goals.
- Be directly involved with the day-to-day operations and finances, managing part-time staff and interns, volunteers, and the Board of Directors.
- Provide executive direction for compliance, quality assurance, and oversee organizational structures and program strategy development.
- Increase and build awareness of The Whale Foundation serving as its primary spokesperson and liaison with local outfitters, donors and community organizations.
- Provide strategic guidance, setting and meeting appropriate fundraising goals, develop an actionable plan for fundraising and monthly cash flow.
- Maintain compliance of legal and regulatory compliance.
- Financial Operations and Fundraising
- Prepare analyses that capture and communicate fundraising results, variances, and performance trends and engage in strategic thinking to increase fundraising dollars.
- Develop and adhere to an annual budget
- Meet or surpass fundraising by securing support from donors, foundations, local corporations and government grants
- Coordinate effectively with accountant and treasurer to conduct and lead periodic budget reviews
- Solicit new donors through association with outfitters, businesses, and foundations
- Support the planning and implementation of the annual fundraisers and year end appeals
- Explore grant opportunities by researching, writing, and applying for grants
- Develop a strategy for the Whale Foundation Endowment
- Maintain day-to-day financial management in concert with the board treasurer
- Outreach and Community Relations
- Foster positive, well-considered relationships with current and potential donors, the community, and the public to reinforce the organization's presence and continuity.
- Oversee communication and marketing methods, including the newsletter, website, Instagram and Facebook
- Be involved with the development and deployment of an effective digital marketing plan including new letters, website, instagram, facebook and the Boatman’s Quarterly Review publication
- Serve as ambassador to the river community promoting The Whale Foundation’s services
- Coordinate and promote trainings, presentations, and other educational opportunities
- Use appropriate software to digitally manage relevant information about donors, providers, recipients of services, and partner providers
- Overall Organizational Support
- Plan, organize, and direct the Whale Foundation’s operations and programs
- Update, develop, and implement policies, procedures
- Analyze and report the organization’s performance to the board of directors and keep board members engaged and involved
- Build and lead The Whale Foundation’s contractors, staff, board members, and volunteers in its mission to have highly successful programs and community engagement
- Coordinate production and distribution of promotional items
- Programmatic Efforts
- Support and manage the accountability of the various program committees including scheduling meetings, following up on action items and decisions
- Lead the Behavioral Health Services Committee
- Manage the processes and events associated with each program i.e. annual health fair
- Continue the development of a Mentorship & Financial Advisory program
- Office Operations
- Maintain office equipment and computer systems
- Centralize, organize, and maintain records for all aspects of the organization, including important written and verbal correspondence
- Maintains appropriate insurance for organization and events
- Coordinates the submission of federal and state reports and corporate papers
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree with (3+) years working with non-profit
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Experience in nonprofit management and success in working with a board of directors
- Knowledge of non-profit operations and regulations
- Serve as a dynamic team player who is offers a flexible yet determined mindset
- Proven success in running fundraising initiatives and strengthening community donor relationships
- Success in volunteer recruitment and engagement
- Strong knowledge of organizational financials
- Team player with the ability to work with staff members, volunteers, the board of directors, stakeholders, donors, community members, external partners, and other organizations.
- Willingness to and a passion for The Whale Foundations mission.
- A strong understanding of the importance of mental health services for Grand Canyon river guides and their unique circumstances
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Team management and delegation skills
- Strong Computer & technology experience
- Salary $65,000 - $83,000 DOE
- 11 Holidays/year
- 10 Days off/year
- 8 Sick days/year
- 18 Days/year for (a) Grand Canyon River trip(s)
- Health insurance
A performance review and evaluation of the Executive Director will occur semi-annually.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter expressing interest, a CV, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until October 13 with an allowance for an extended open period if necessary. Interviews will take place between October 23 and November 10. Anticipated start date would commence at the beginning of 2024.