Job Title: Vice President of Development
Reports to: Chief Impact Officer
The Vice President of Development (VPDev) is responsible for leading the development team, all annual fundraising efforts, fundraising events, and the visioning and execution of a best-in-class philanthropy program at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School. Annual fundraising goals are approximately $3 million with the need to grow by another $2 million in the next 18-24 months. The VPDev will work closely with the Chief Impact Officer, President and senior leadership team to develop and implement strategies that enhance the school's philanthropic impact and advance its mission and meet budgeted goals. The VPDev will manage a team of professionals and will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, alumni, volunteers, and community leaders.
The Vice President of Development areas of responsibilities are:
Lead and drive achievement of philanthropic revenue goals (50%)
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that includes major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation support, and special events to achieve revenue goals and growth.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with donors, prospects, and volunteers to increase philanthropic support.
- Manage a portfolio of donors to solicit for annual operating and event support by directly soliciting, stewarding and engaging prospects.
- Work with the COFO to ensure policies and standards of the business office meet the level of excellence expected by our supporters, funders, corporate partners, families, and the greater Cristo Rey community.
- Build and cultivate an experienced staff to successfully execute meeting revenue goals that fund the mission of Cristo Rey.
- Support the team to identify, research, and secure grants from foundations and corporations to support programs and initiatives at the school.
- Create a prospect pipeline where all areas of engagement are examined for potential prospects and those names are continually examined and prioritized for engagement.
- Drive individual and corporate connections to strengthen the Cristo Rey brand and successful partnerships that lead to growth in revenue and contribution pipelines.
- Build a major gifts mentality in our donors and build creative case statements to secure five and six-figure gifts, leading to a major gifts campaign to build the endowment funds.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors, school leadership, and faculty to align fundraising efforts with the school's strategic plan.
- Develop and implement a stewardship plan to recognize and thank donors for their support.
- Work with Corporate Work Study and Alumni Relations colleagues to ensure that corporate partners and alumni are supported and engaged and to determine how to create more prospects collaboratively.
Manage successful and engaging events (25%)
- Ensure fundraising events produced by Cristo Rey are revenue generating and fiscally responsible for meeting budgetary goals.
- Create strategic plans for the school’s annual fundraising event ¡VIVA!, with a focus on increasing revenue and involvement by board members and volunteer host committee members. Manage the team who execute the event and ensure it meets annual revenue goals. Attend meetings and provide strategic overview.
- Manage and support a series of stewardship and cultivation events such as scholarship breakfasts, donor events and stewardship lunches.
Create Best-in-Class Development Operations (10%)
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to fundraising and charitable giving, with a focus on promoting inclusion, equity, diversity and accessibility.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of all fundraising activities, including data on inclusion, equity, diversity and accessibility, and prepare reports for the President and Board of Directors.
- Stay informed about best practices in fundraising and development, with a focus on promoting inclusion, equity and belonging, and make recommendations for improvements to existing processes and strategies.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to fundraising and charitable giving.
Serve as an Inclusive and Equitable leader (10%)
- Manage a team of development professionals, providing leadership and direction to ensure all fundraising activities are aligned with the school's mission and values.
- Commitment to fostering an environment of inclusivity and belonging, where all team members feel valued, respected, and supported and ensuring that these principles are embedded in all aspects of our school.
- Staying up-to-date on best practices and trends related to inclusion, diversity, equity, accessibility, and belonging by attending conferences and events, and participating in professional development opportunities.
Talent Management & Development (5%)
- Hire, train, and mentor Development staff and build a high performing and engaged team.
- Serve as an inspirational leader for staff; promote a culture of strong integrity, excellence, meaningful collaboration, and continuous improvement that values commitment to equity, learning, and quality.
- Ensure staff have resources, access, and professional development opportunities to perform at high levels.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with varied constituencies, particularly affluent and influential benefactors and prospects.
- Minimum of 10 years in fundraising and development, preferably in an educational or nonprofit setting.
- Successful record of leading and managing a dynamic team of employees, with a minimum of 5 years in leadership roles.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven success in achieving results, particularly with soliciting and closing major gifts as well as annual gifts.
- Strong financial competence in budgeting and revenue goal setting.
- Competency in stewarding donor directed and restricted funds, in particular related to compliance for audit purposes.
- Ability to think strategically, with a strong focus on results and outcomes.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and volunteers.
- A working knowledge of donor database programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office.
- A model of integrity, flexibility, ingenuity, compassion, dedication, humor, enthusiasm.
- Passion for education and the mission of Cristo Rey Jesuit High School, with a demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion, equity, diversity and accessibility for all.