Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervises: Admin. Assistant, Youth Pastor, and Children's Pastor
Johns Creek Baptist Church of Alpharetta, Georgia, a northern suburb of Atlanta, is seeking a full-time Formations Pastor, to lead a comprehensive and progressive strategy for spiritual formation and theological education within the church. We are affiliated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, have a residential membership of 2800+, hold both Contemporary and Traditional worship services each week, and host a unique Sunday School design that sees nearly 80% of the weekly worship attendance in community-driven Bible study the hour prior to worship.
Johns Creek Baptist Church seeks to be a free and faithful voice of the Gospel, witnessing with integrity to Jesus Christ and the mission of the Church. JCBC believes in and dedicates itself to preserving and practicing historic Baptist principles, Freedoms, and Traditions. We value excellence in worship, theological depth and diversity, authentic Christian community, deliberate church growth, congregational courage, responsible Christian stewardship, and a missional consciousness where every member is mobilized to serve.
In collaboration with the Senior Pastor, pastoral staff, and lay leaders, the role of the Formations Pastor is key to cultivating an ongoing congregational culture of discipleship, spiritual growth & development.
Responsible for these Essential Duties:
- Design and implement a comprehensive and progressive strategy for spiritual formation and theological education within the church.
- Attend regular Pastoral Staff Meetings and lead regular Formations Staff meetings.
- Supervise Children’s Pastor and Youth Pastor in a collegial environment, ensuring collaboration and alignment to the larger vision strategy of the pastoral staff.
- Organize and lead Adult Sunday School ministry, in collaboration with the JCBC Sunday School Director.
- Recruit, train, and lead Community Leaders and a Faculty of Seminar Leaders to serve within JCBC’s community-based Sunday School.
- Teach in a variety of settings within the church, including (but not limited to) Sunday School, Midweek Bible Study, Small Groups, etc.
- Cultivate and vet curricula for all age groups to ensure it is theologically-rich, biblically-grounded, and in alignment with JCBC’s theological identity and core values.
- Collaborate with Connections Pastor, Mobilization Pastor, and Worship Pastor to ensure ongoing stewardship of the four congregational energies (Connections, Formations, Mobilization, and Worship)
- Oversee various adult ministries within the Formations Division, including (but not limited to) Men’s Ministry, Women’s Ministry, and Senior Adult Ministry.
- Prepare and submit annual budget for adult ministries within the Formation Division and for advising and supervising the management of budgets for Children and Youth Ministries.
Demonstrates these Core Competencies:
- Humble and a sincere call to serve Christ’s church.
- Spiritual and relational warmth, as well as a genuine love for people.
- A keen and intuitive understanding of the dynamics of congregational life.
- A passion for equipping faith formation within the Christian community.
- Evidence of spiritual maturity and a well-tended interior life.
- Clear gifts in teaching, and a capacity to communicate effectively.
- Ability to inspire confidence in staff and volunteer leaders.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Collaborative instinct, with capacity to work cooperatively with gifted and competent colleagues toward a common goal.
- Discerning, able to make the tough call, while maintaining healthy relationships with peers as well as those being supervised.
- Commitment to protect confidential information.
Inquiries: Send resume to fpsearch@jcbc[dot]org.