North Avenue Presbyterian Church is a diverse community that is committed to loving and caring for one another as we grow in our faith. An urban church in the heart of Atlanta, North Avenue has been worshiping on the corner of North Avenue and Peachtree Street since 1898. Our mission is to love and worship God, to be transformed as we grow in Christ, and to make visible the Kingdom of God as we serve Atlanta and the world.
The position of part-time staff accountant is critical to the overall effectiveness of the church, as these back-office functions provide the underlying support to all other areas of ministry. The job involves about 20-25 hours of work per week.
Principal Function - Through the performance of the general responsibilities ensure that all aspects of the church accounting operations are done in compliance with church policy.
Supervisor - Executive Director of Finance and Operations (EDFO)
Key Staff Relationships - EDFO and Directors of Ministry
- Manage contributions and contribution reporting.
- Banking – prepare bank deposits and record all ACH income and drafts.
- Accounts Payable – Manage invoice entry and check processing.
- General Ledger – help the EDFO, reviewing revenue, expense, and balance sheet accounts on a regular basis for necessary adjusting entries. Prepare entries for review and approval by EDFO.
- Financial Reporting - Prepare and distribute monthly departmental reports for the Directors and Ministry Teams and assist in the budget process as requested.
- Payroll - Prepare needed payroll data for processing semi-monthly payrolls – send regular reminders to supervisors regarding the verification of hourly reporting. Enter any needed hours or adjustments not captured in iSolved.
- Miscellaneous/Administrative - Maintain files on invoices and correspondence, as well as employee payroll and personnel files.
- Accounts Receivable – maintain monthly tenant (ACS/RATL) billing, wedding billing, and other customer billings as requested. Other Duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience in church accounting
- Commitment to confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Skilled at organizing and meticulous with details
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Knowledge of church financial management systems and fund accounting
Benefits - Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays, some work from home available
Applicants interested in the role should submit a resume and cover letter describing your previous experience most applicable to this role and your reasons for seeking employment with us.
Send these by mail or email to:
Executive Director of Finance and Operations
North Avenue Presbyterian Church
607 Peachtree St NE
Atlanta, GA 30308