Position Title: Content Writer
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA; hybrid schedule
Time Commitment: Full-time
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Announcement Date: May 11, 2023
Applications Due: Open until filled
Compensation: $5,400 - $6,600/month; commensurate with experience
About the Levitt Foundation
The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We’re a national social impact funder at the intersection of music, public space and community building that partners with nonprofits to build a more equitable, healthy, and thriving future for all. We realize our mission of building community through music through two core programs: the Levitt venue program and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards. In 2023, more than 650 free outdoor Levitt concerts will take place in 41 towns and cities across America, bringing joy to more than 750,000 people of all ages and backgrounds.
The Levitt Foundation is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) throughout our organization and all aspects of our work, recognizing this commitment as essential to realizing the Levitt mission. We value having a team with a wide range of perspectives, backgrounds, experiences, and skills so our approach to grantmaking is well-rounded and the connection with our team members and the communities we support is authentic. We strive to create a positive working culture through professional development opportunities, employee recognition, and team-building events and activities. We focus on creating a working environment that promotes collaboration and fairness. Our commitment to EDI fosters a culture where team members can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in the value of every individual and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity. To learn more about the national Levitt network and the Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.
The Content Writer will play an integral role in supporting communications that build national visibility for the Levitt Foundation, its programs, initiatives, and grantees including the national network of Levitt music venues and Levitt AMP concert sites. As a member of our communications team, the Content Writer will be an engaging storyteller, creative thinker, and resourceful researcher who will draft a range of written communications for varied target audiences through tone and style with a high acumen for grammar, syntax, and proofreading. The Content Writer’s work will support Levitt programs and advance the vision, mission, and core values of the Levitt Foundation to build community through music. In addition to technical skills and experience, the ideal candidate will possess a passion for music, creative placemaking, and social impact. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Director of Communications.
- Through content creation in a variety of formats (blog, eblasts, website, etc.), compellingly share the social and economic impact of Levitt programs in communities and people’s lives, as well as stories informed by data and research surrounding outcomes and impact
- Generate ideas and write content for blog series and articles, eblasts, web content, research summaries, presentations, marketing collateral, and other writing needs as assigned
- Write, edit, and proofread blog posts on a weekly basis
- Cultivate sources within the national Levitt network of partners and grantees to identify and generate unique story ideas that showcase their work in communities and multiple layers of impact while advancing the Levitt mission
- Actively seek out and develop content that inspires and motivates audiences to embrace the Levitt mission
- Stay abreast of the larger field of creative placemaking, arts investments in public spaces, philanthropy, and emerging topics of interest to inspire story ideas
- Develop and connect themes and concepts across creative content that is lively, engaging, and relevant to effectively tell the Levitt story
- Differentiate between on- and off-brand messaging while framing stories and communications
- Collaborate with colleagues, partners, and grantees to ensure content integrity and accuracy across multiple platforms and formats
- Manage projects involving story development, email marketing, website content, and social media messaging
- Curate photo/multimedia selection to complement written communications and projects
- Implement fundamental knowledge of marketing communications, positioning, and messaging
- Adhere to highest standards of excellence regarding grammar, proofreading, and accuracy
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism, or related field; or an equivalent combination of experience
- At least 3-5 years of experience in journalism, communications, marketing or public relations, producing content in a variety of formats including print, web, social media, and advertising
- Genuine passion for writing and expert wordsmith
- Critical thinker who excels at connecting themes and synthesizing information; sound judgement a must
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Superior editing and proofreading skills
- Gifted and creative storyteller, with the ability to craft clear and engaging narratives for general as well as target audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-driven work in the arts, creative placemaking, arts for social impact, equitable civic revitalization and community development, or a related field
- Experience writing about music and artists, various music genres, and the role of music and the arts in society
- Experience writing about cross-sector work in building equitable, healthy and thriving communities a plus
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Highly motivated individual who also excels in a collaborative setting
- Working knowledge of multimedia formats to accompany written content, i.e. curation and editing of photos and basic video editing, a plus but not required
- Experience working in communications within the philanthropic sector, a plus but not required
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite
To apply, email your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Levitt Foundation Content Writer” in the subject line.
The Levitt Foundation offers a dynamic work environment and competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), and other benefits. EEO/AAW employer.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.