Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Financial Analyst, Healthy Communities is a key staff member in the operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for the Healthy Communities team. Further, this role will provide support to the Mission Finance staff on the Enterprise Operations team and works across all the teams to provide support where there is staff vacancy or capacity needs. This position will submit invoices for payment and systematically gather, analyze, and report on income and expense data, pulling together data from multiple sources, building spreadsheets, making charts, and helping spot variances and issues in budget management, grant reporting, and other program-wide issues and systems. This position will work closely with Mission Finance, Healthy Communities, and other relevant staff to build, track, and analyze budgets and fundraising proposals, and will help organize and present moderately complex financial data for reporting and decision-making.
The Financial Analyst will report to the Financial Manager, Mission Finance, collaborate closely with the Sr. Financial Analyst, Healthy Communities, and work with staff across departments to insure the timely and accurate execution of financial activities, including serving as a key resource to generate reports using financial systems. This position will be a member of the Mission Finance team within the Enterprise Operations Department, partnering with other Mission Finance, Finance, and Development staff, as well as the Healthy Communities team and relevant workstreams.
- Execute day-to-day financial processes and support financial planning and reporting activities on behalf of Healthy Communities and relevant workstreams.
- Using accounting system data, assist with monthly forecasting and produce monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; update projections; identify, investigate, analyze, and explain variances at the grant and budget levels for income and expense line items; and make corrections as necessary by submitting journal entries.
- Assist Mission Finance and Mission staff in the development of new budget proposals.
- Assist with other organizational and program-specific financial and operational processes, including resolving queries on accounts payable, revenue projections, reviewing and fixing coding issues, drafting grant financial reports for funders, and other matters.
- Participate in advancing EDF's diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Generate helpful reports for mission teams by utilizing relevant financial systems.
- Manage one or more grants which supports the work of Healthy Communities and relevant workstreams, as applicable.
- Communicate financial positions with stakeholders including operations staff, project leads, the CFO, etc.
- Ensure proper set up of new grants in financial systems and monitor grant spending against budget.
- Submit and code program invoices, cross-checking them against service agreements, for submission for payment, as applicable.
- Facilitate contract preparation and communication with consultants, as applicable.
- Coordinate the review, approval and submission process for new service and purchasing agreements, as applicable.
- Participate in team meetings and trainings with Enterprise Operations, Healthy Communities, and relevant teams.
- Participate in financial process improvement initiatives across the organization.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that support decision-making on strategic initiatives.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a business or nonprofit setting with an Associate’s degree required. A Bachelor’s degree in business management, finance, or accounting may substitute for up to two years of experience. Additional experience in finance or accounting may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Finance, foundations and private donor gifts, or accounting experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Experience with reporting for government grants is preferred.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and reporting software packages is preferred.
- Strong organization, time management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work with financial data, spot trends, and ensure accuracy.
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel, including the ability to understand and develop formulas, charts, and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills with the ability to effectively liaise with diverse colleagues across time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to work well collaboratively as a part of a multidisciplinary team, across several time zones, as well as independently.
- Proactive with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced, multitasking style with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
$65,000 - $72,000
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/financial-analyst-healthy-communities