Vice President, Network Engagement
- First Book
- Washington D.C.
- salary range: $130,000 - $150,000
- Closing date
- Jun 8, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Civil Rights / Advocacy, Education, Philanthropy / Social Responsibility, Youth Development
- Job Function
- Development / Fundraising, Executive / Senior Management, Marketing / Communications, Program / Project Management
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Degree Level
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
- Experience Level
First Book has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted). Proof of Fully Vaccinated Status is Required Before an Interview.
About the position: (First Book has a hybrid work environment. This is not a 100% remote position)
First Book is a leader in both philanthropic and public-private sector partnerships, focused on removing barriers to education for kids in need. First Book is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial leader for its Nonprofit Partnerships Development team focused on school and nonprofit partnerships. The position develops and oversees team strategy, revenue generation and program management for the organization’s nonprofit program partnerships, and is a high-visibility, external steward for First Book within the social sector.
The Vice President will play a principal role in leading a team managing First Book’s nonprofit relationships in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. Responsibilities include strategy development, relationship building, non-profit organizational level “sales,” project management, budgeting, program development, and team management. The Vice President should possess extensive experience in developing funded relationships to meet revenue goals. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in fundraising, solid business writing and presentation skills, excellent verbal communication, an understanding of education equity issues, creative and bold thinking, exceptional critical thinking skills, and a passion for driving social change.
The Vice President will work most closely with colleagues on the Network Engagement team, as well as collaborate extensively with team members across the organization to ensure that win-win-win partnerships are developed to advance First Book’s self-sustainability goals, meet the mission of partner organizations, and support community-based providers serving children and families. The Vice President will report directly to the SVP, Network Engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and lead team strategic plan with a focus on revenue generation and on driving social sector thought leadership around the topic of educational equity
- Lead a team responsible for the cultivation, growth, and renewal of First Book’s school and nonprofit partnerships
- Act as the external-facing steward of First Book, attending conferences, establishing relationships with other non-profits, and developing those win-win opportunities that drive organizational growth, Network growth and the distribution of resources to communities of need
- Develop and oversee multiple complex and diverse funded programs from inception through implementation
- Establish annual “revenue” targets for the team and manage to that budget throughout the year
- Keep abreast of national and geo-specific education, equity, and social justice issues
- Bring a creative and collaborative mentality to all partner relationships
- Lead reporting for all relevant partner and opportunity updates within Salesforce
- Lead and contribute to ideation sessions
- Undertaking innovative special projects, as directed by the Executive Team
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Demonstrated track record in account and project management
- Proven management experience, including the ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, measure and manage performance, and help with conflict resolution
- Entrepreneurial approach to leading comprehensive and holistic communications and development strategies and campaigns across a variety of channels, with a preference for diverse experience with community-centric and/or grassroots fundraising models. Experience with donor organizing or philanthropic advocacy is a plus;
- Solid relationship management skills for dealing with a range of partners in the social sector
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the internal staff and external clients/partners. Excellent writing and presentation skills required
- Data-driven approach required
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a hybrid environment and build strong relationships with colleagues, staff, donors and partners across geographies and time zones;
- Solid conceptual, analytic, and organizational skills to inform strategy development and execution;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Exceptional organizational skills and time management are required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines ad oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Proficiency in Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to travel, as needed, up to 10% in peak partnership activation periods
Education and/or Experience:
- BA/BS required, MBA or M.A. in a related educational field preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience
- Prior work experience in the private sector is a plus
- Existing relationships in the non-profit sector with leadership at various youth-focused organizations nationwide is a HUGE plus
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 500,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
- (202) 393-1222
1319 F St NW, Suite 1000
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert