Associate Attorney, California Regional (Right to Zero)
- Los Angeles, California / Hybrid
- Salary range, Los Angeles: $92,600 - $115,000
- Closing date
- Apr 19, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Civil Rights / Advocacy, Environment, Government
- Job Function
- Advocacy / Lobbying, Conservation, Legal, Public Policy / Administration
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Degree Level
Earthjustice is accepting applications for an associate attorney position to join our growing team of lawyers working on our Right to Zero priorities. The Right to Zero program is working to transform the way we use energy and transport goods, services and ourselves across the country. From our power grid to ports, buses to garbage trucks, the Right to Zero team works to ditch fossil fuels and lead the shift to zero-emissions. While the attorney will primarily focus on California-specific Right to Zero litigation and advocacy, the attorney may work on issues that are either federal or outside California.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Houston, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Miami, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, D.C.
Earthjustice’s California Regional Office was the first of the now fifteen Earthjustice offices. With offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, the California Regional Office covers almost all areas of our work. We fight for the rights of all Californians to a healthy environment. Earthjustice’s work in California is particularly important given California is both a health and climate leader and yet has some of the worst air in the country, is still one of the largest producers of oil in the country, faces some of the most challenging water issues, and is seeing its unique biodiversity face unprecedented threats. Learn more about the California Regional Office and its work at - https://earthjustice.org/about/offices/california.
In recent years, we have achieved major successes in our Right to Zero work in shifting to a zero-emissions future in California in which fossil fuels will be replaced by clean energy, including advancing zero-emission transportation. We see this position as an opportunity to further this work.
This Associate Attorney will work closely with our existing team of attorneys, Research and Policy Analysts, and Litigation Assistants/Legal Practice Administrators, in addition to other dedicated staff from the California Regional Office.
The position will be located in Los Angeles, CA. The position is in-office hybrid.
- Conduct, as part of a team, advocacy before federal, state, and local agencies, governments, and courts as warranted.
- Support the development and execution of non-litigation advocacy strategies in collaboration with attorneys, policy staff and communications staff as appropriate.
- Conduct factual investigations and develop legal theories for possible advocacy or litigation advancing the goals of our clients.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, Operations, and Policy and Legislation.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners.
- Join other staff in long-term planning, strategy development, goal-setting, and work plan management that advances a collective vision for future California Regional Office work.
- Participate as an active member of a learning and mentorship culture, and engage with colleagues in manner that is respectful, professional, and supportive.
- Participate actively in organizational and office-specific efforts to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, and personally engage with colleagues, clients, and partners in a manner that is consistent with those efforts.
- Promote change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Create or identify strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- 1-5 years of post-graduate litigation and/or clerkship experience.
- Admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the California State Bar.
- Willingness and ability to relocate to Los Angeles.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Initiative, good judgment, a collegial work style, and a strong work ethic.
- Proficient at working with technical issues and experts.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with community-based or other grassroots groups interested in litigation and other advocacy in the attorney’s area of focus.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, presentations, staff meetings, and conferences.
- Willingness to help the office recruit, hire, develop, and retain a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Commitment to serving the public interest and Earthjustice’s mission.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce and culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Interested applicants should submit the following via Jobvite:
- One to two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) Why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; (2) Aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues; and
- Writing sample that reflects your own legal analysis and writing (i.e., not jointly written with or heavily edited by other people).
- List of three professional references.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Our Associate Attorneys help save the planet. Learn more about our Associate Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/associate
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert