Outreach and Membership Services Assistant
- San Francisco, California
- Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $64,500 - $71,700
- Closing date
- Apr 2, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Capacity Building / Volunteerism, Civil Rights / Advocacy, Environment, Philanthropy / Social Responsibility
- Job Function
- Administrative / Clerical, Conservation, Development / Fundraising, Legal
- Position Type
- Full Time
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, Houston and Washington, DC.
The Outreach & Membership Services Assistant works under the supervision of the Outreach & Membership Services Manager to ensure that donors feel supported and recognized, and that their support makes a difference. The Assistant is often the first interpersonal contact with Earthjustice for donors and the general public and serves as an important representative of the organization.
This position requires a self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. The position requires excellent writing and analytical skills, diplomacy and discretion, and the ability to manage multiple projects, as well as adapt and think creatively. The Outreach & Member Services Assistant must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and be highly detail oriented.
This position requires daily interaction with donors and the general public through phone calls and written correspondence, including responding to questions about the organization’s work. The role performs a variety of administrative tasks, including updating records in the donor management system with pertinent details that inform relationship management and producing stewardship and other types of collateral.
This position will be based in our San Francisco, CA office.
Constituent Services & Donor Stewardship (75%)
- Coordinate with Outreach & Membership Services staff to respond efficiently and accurately to a high volume of donor inquiries by phone, email, social media, and other emerging channels.
- Maintain strong knowledge of Earthjustice’s current and past work to synthesize and package complex information into accessible communications, in preparation for inquiries from donors and the public.
- Respond to questions about Earthjustice and our programmatic work and connect constituents to additional resources.
- Collaborate with Development staff and other teams to ensure alignment in our messaging, support the development of values-driven talking points and best practices, and organize our internal resources and reference materials.
- Assist donors in making contributions over the phone, confirming their gift information, updating records, or providing copies of receipts.
- Manage the tribute and memorial giving program, including the tracking of gifts and honoree notification fulfillment.
- Provide quality control for gift acknowledgments and tribute and memorial gifts
- Assist with stewarding public support donors with phone calls and emails thanking them for their contributions and sharing updates on our work.
- Provide support for special mailings to donors, including vendor coordination.
- Support list review and ensure quality of a number of regular lists for donor recognition purposes, including legacy and monthly donor groups
Internal Support & Data Integrity (25%)
- Record donor information and activity in Earthjustice donor management systems consistently and accurately.
- Categorize and track inquiries from donors and supporters to provide reports on volume trends, and to provide feedback connected to specific initiatives to collaborative departments.
- Actively participate in cross-departmental teams and projects, seeking ways to enable and enhance department and team objectives.
- Incorporate new technologies and processes that will improve efficiency and enhance donor experience.
- Shepherd case request inquiries to appropriate parties.
- Maintain personal organization systems.
- Other duties, as assigned
Furthering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) at Earthjustice (Ongoing)
- Proactively pursue and utilize internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Participate in internal committees and working groups to further institutional priorities and build an inclusive and equitable work environment that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Ensure the incorporation of inclusive practices in all duties and responsibilities, on a consistent and ongoing basis, including but not limited to verbal and written interactions with constituents and Earthjustice staff.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years’ relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant experience required.
- 2+ years’ experience in donor or client relations, customer service, or reception setting preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities a plus.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Excellent customer service skills, including patience, grace under pressure, and the ability to work with a variety of personalities.
- Superior communication skills, including exceptional telephone skills and demonstrated experience writing effective correspondence, reports, and other print collateral.
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information and communicate it in an understandable manner, vocally and in writing.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including donors, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Database management skills required, with ability to produce reports and use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Working knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or donor database such as the Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud eCRM is highly preferred.
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors and colleagues.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Commitment to advancing economic, social, and racial justice.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $64,500 - $71,700
Interested applicants should submit the following via the Jobvite System by April 2nd, 2023:
- Cover letter describing their interest in this position and how their skills align with the described duties and essential skills and abilities.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert