Community Engagement Specialist (Birmingham)
- Birmingham, Alabama
- $38,000 - $42,000
- Closing date
- Apr 8, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Human Services
- Job Function
- Direct Service / Social Service
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Degree Level
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
Community Engagement Specialist (Birmingham)
Salary Grade/Level/Family/Range: $38,000 - $42,000
Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Job Summary: The Community Engagement Specialist will coordinate the volunteers and interns of all Refugee and Immigrant Services programs locally in Birmingham, including the recruitment, training, supervision, appreciation and evaluation of individual and group volunteers. She/he will also assist the Community Engagement Manager with the coordination of community relations and community engagement events related to Refugee and Immigrant Services. She/he will work to engage the Birmingham community in the work of welcoming and accompanying refugees, asylees, and immigrants as they work to achieve self-sufficiency and integrate successfully into their new community and country.
- Coordinate the volunteer program for individual volunteers and volunteer groups for Refugee and Immigrant Services (RIS) including implementation of volunteer policies, developing volunteer opportunities and job descriptions, administering web-based volunteer tracking system, and the recruitment, orientation and training, supervision, evaluation and recognition of volunteers.
- Recruit volunteers and interns to meet the needs of the Refugee and Immigrant Services programs including, but not limited to, cultural mentoring, English language tutoring, career mentoring, employment assistance, social adjustment, after-school tutoring and children/youth summer camp, etc.
- Provide ongoing support to RIS interns and ensure compliance with all active MOUs as it relates to for-credit internships through partner universities.
- Respond to all grievances reported by individual and group volunteers in a timely manner and with professionalism and facilitate resolutions.
- Facilitate communication between all volunteers and direct service Inspiritus staff.
- Coordinate a faith and community group partnership program for refugee accompaniment to include program administration, support of partner volunteer teams, and serving as liaison between partner volunteer teams and Inspiritus refugee clients and staff.
- Coordinate the intern program for Refugee and Immigrant Services in the region, including maintaining on-going relationships with college and university career departments; and recruiting, training and overseeing the intern program on a year-round basis.
- Solicit and record donations of cash and in-kind items for Refugee and Immigrant Services.
- Keep records of volunteer hours, mileage, and in-kind donations, and submit these reports on monthly basis to appropriate programs and staff. Solicit and collect feedback from affected individuals and groups (clients, donors, volunteers, interns, and staff) in order to improve and strengthen community engagement programming.
- Facilitate communication with the RIS constituency in order to provide opportunities for community advocacy and engagement as directed by RIS leadership and the Community Engagement Manager.
- Assist Community Engagement Manager with community relations, including presentations to congregations and other organizations promoting Inspiritus and the agency's programs, including volunteer opportunities, special events, and program partnerships.
- Participates in Inspiritus functions and public relations activities.
- Participates in training and professional conferences to keep abreast of current trends.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Complies with the various federal, state or local laws that apply to and regulate the job responsibilities.
- Participates in training, fundraising events and other INSPIRITUS activities and initiatives such as performance and quality improvement (PQI).
- Strives toward excellence in the areas of innovation, performance and extraordinary acts.
Non-Essential Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet program and department needs.
- Manages funds and other Inspiritus assets i.e. supplies and equipment in a manner that is considered productive in the best interest of Inspiritus, and conforms with the approved budgets.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and at least a year or more experience working in the areas of volunteer coordination, public relations, and/or other resource development duties in the nonprofit sector. Or an equivalent combination of education, experience, competencies, skills and knowledge that ensures the successful completion of the essential job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated, documented experience and performance in planning, organizing and leading projects.
- Organized with attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to balance the needs of clients, staff and volunteers.
- Must have the ability to communicate with all persons in a culturally competent manner.
- Must be sensitive to the service population's cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Good computer skills (Word Processing, Spreadsheet, database, E-mail) and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Fluent in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
- Ability to work in partnership with other team members.
- Must hold a valid Alabama Driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Experience supervising volunteers and interns.
- Experience working with refugees and immigrants.
- Familiarity with Birmingham non-profit and community organizations, community resources, church and interfaith groups.
- Experience with human services programs.
- Reads, writes, and speaks a relevant foreign language.
Physical Demands: Regularly required to talk and hear in person and on the telephone. Required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls: and reach with hands and arms to operate computer and other office equipment. Required to operate a personal vehicle. Employee frequently lifts and or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Working Conditions: The employee travels by automobile and/or other transportation to off-site assignments and is exposed to changing weather conditions. Member of mobile workforce. At least 20% of time spent traveling by automobile and/or other transportation.
For over thirty five years, Inspiritus, formerly Lutheran Services of Georgia and Lutheran Services in Tennessee, has promoted programs that enhance the stability, wellness, health, and safety of individuals and families. Since our founding in 1981, we have touched the lives of more than 100,000 individuals. Please see some key dates in our history below.
Our Mission Inspiritus guides individuals and families on a path from surviving to thriving. We empower those whose lives have been disrupted to discover their strengths and resilience, accompanying them as they grow into vibrant contributors to their community. Our Vision Transformed communities where all, regardless of their background or circumstances, thrive and enrich the world around them.
230 Peachtreet Street NW Suite 1100
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert