Director of People
- PICO California
- Los Angeles, California
- Up to $120,000 per year + Benefits
- Closing date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Civil Rights / Advocacy
- Job Function
- Human Resources / Recruiting
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Degree Level
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
- Experience Level
PICO California is currently seeking a Director of People to join our team. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who wants to be a part of growing the HR function of a grassroots organization.
What You’ll Be Doing:
The DoP will drive and implement critical Human Resources (HR) best practices and initiatives and provide strategic direction and expertise for the full scope of the function across both statewide and network affiliates. The Director of People is also responsible for advancing a robust and effective culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and will work closely with the organization's Executive and Leadership Teams to meet key DEI strategic objectives.
More specifically, the DoP will:
- Help to build and foster an organizational culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion working with PICO California’s executive and leadership teams to meet key DEI strategic objectives.
- Develop and implement a human resources plan that aligns with the overall mission and strategy of the organization, resulting in innovative, best practices and policies that will service the full range of HR needs and help build a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency, and collaboration.
- Optimize the HR function, modernize and refine key processes and activities aligned toward achieving strategic objectives.
Innovation & Strategy
- Develop and implement a human resources plan that aligns with the overall mission and strategy of PICO California, resulting in innovative HR best practices and policies that will service the full range of HR needs and help build a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency, and collaboration.
- Gain an understanding of the organization and participate fully in HR-related strategic deliberations.
- Optimize and streamline the HR function by refining key processes and activities aligned toward achieving strategic objectives.
- Advance and build the organization's diversity, equity, and inclusion competencies serving as the key leader in implementing programs, policies, and other necessary changes that position PICO California as a model employer in DEI practices.
Organizational Management and Collaboration
- Lead and develop comprehensive approaches to the entire employee engagement lifecycle, including talent acquisition, onboarding, learning & development, performance management, compliance, retention, compensation, benefits, career paths, and professional learning opportunities.
- Oversee compensation practices and philosophy to ensure appropriate salary benchmarking and equity.
- Partner with Operations on HRIS and related systems, protocols, capabilities, and upgrades.
- Interact with vendors and external partners to create and maintain relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Ensure legal compliance & mitigate organizational risks.
Impact and Capacity Building
- Work with member federations and boards to develop best HR practices across the network.
- In consultation with member federations design and implement a training program for network staff and identify and coordinate ongoing training for network staff members, including annual training (e.g., workplace safety, sexual harassment), skills-based training, diversity and inclusion training, and other training as needed.
People Growth & Development
- Develop relationships with the employees and become someone who is sought after for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues. Facilitate integration of diverse workgroups and cultures.
- Counsel, coach, and guide managers and staff in addressing concerns and complaints to assure fair and equitable treatment while ensuring compliance with local labor regulations and practices.
- Coach and mentor colleagues/managers and develop leadership bench strength capable of addressing the challenges of a highly dynamic nonprofit organization.
- Mediate employee relations and performance issues and counsel fellow managers on appropriate performance management methods.
- Other duties as assigned
Who You Are: While no one person will embody all of the qualities described below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Connects with and believes in PICO California’s mission.
- Willingness to fully contribute to PICO California’s equity and inclusion practices and a strong commitment to racial and economic justice.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- At least seven years of experience in a similar role in a nonprofit or grassroots organization experience.
- At least 10+ years of progressive leadership experience, with 5+ years leading the HR/People and Culture function.
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is responsive, solutions-focused, and results-oriented.
- Proven leadership success in advancing a strong culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, through innovating and implementing organization-wide programs and policies.
- Proven success implementing career-path and professional development programs for employees at all levels, with a strong emphasis on creating opportunities for front-line and entry-level staff.
- General business and financial acumen with proven ability to develop and utilize HR data and metrics relating to and impacting business and administrative functions.
- In-depth knowledge of HRIS technology, with management experience in systems transition and implementation, is strongly preferred.
- Exceptional communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and a strong ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences.
- Results-driven, agile change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving environment.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility are necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all organizational levels to achieve results.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and can pivot while meeting deadlines and producing high-quality results.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start date.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert