Director of Communications and Marketing
- Purpose Built Communities Foundation Inc.
- Hybrid Environment based in Atlanta, GA
- Closing date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Focus Areas
- Philanthropy / Social Responsibility
- Job Function
- Marketing / Communications
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Degree Level
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
- Experience Level
Purpose Built Communities Foundation (Purpose Built) is an incubator, convener, and catalyst for social change at the neighborhood level. We are a philanthropically-funded nonprofit organization that partners with local leaders-our Network Members – to design, direct, and accelerate neighborhood transformation initiatives across the United States so residents can experience greater racial equity, improved health outcomes, and increased upward mobility. Purpose Built provides pro-bono guidance, coaching, and support to these local leaders, their staff, and stakeholders in implementing and growing a holistic model of revitalization in their neighborhoods. Together with our Network Members and strategic partners, Purpose Built believes every neighborhood should have affordable, high-quality mixed income housing, excellent schools that keep student success in life and in the classroom central, inclusive spaces that nurture and enrich residents’ physical and mental health and foster a sense of belonging, and a thriving commercial core that keeps the neighborhood economically vibrant. The throughline is uplifting the legacy and supporting the vision of the people who have long called that neighborhood home.
Purpose Built has recently undertaken a series of programmatic updates, including refining its Model for impact and will soon begin a strategic planning process. These initiatives require a clarifying and unifying story about Purpose Built’s ethos and values system as a social change organization.
Purpose Built supports 28 Network Members with pro bono services, Including technical assistance, a robust Community of Practice, racial equity programming, policy support, fundraising, and more. As Purpose Built continues to evolve its Model and support structures, we are focusing on amplifying our value proposition, telling a collective story of Network impact and establishing our leadership in the field of place-based work. The Director of Communications and Marketing will lead us on this journey to share the story of impact for Purpose Built and our Network Members.
The Director of Communications and Marketing will report to the Senior Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and is responsible for overseeing the marketing and communications, including branding, public relations, social media, advertising and collateral materials, web design and content and budget management. This position will develop and drive an integrated external and internal marketing and communications strategy that supports the strategic goals and objectives of Purpose Built and its Network, including managing consultants to execute parts of the communications and marketing strategy.
The Director of Communications and Marketing will also assess the needs of Network Members and provide recommendations and help with execution as needed, including devoting external resources when necessary, facilitating the development of communications and community engagement strategies, providing media training, website development, narrative development, and event support when needed. The work of Purpose Built is driven by effective relationships built on trust and on-going communication, and the Director of Communications and Marketing plays a critical role in nurturing those relationships. The Director will work collaboratively with the Network Member Services team to support Network Members.
Purpose Built is a small organization and works as a highly collaborative team. All Purpose Built team members must be outcome-oriented and comfortable with the uncertainty associated with entrepreneurial environments. Team members must be able to balance multiple projects and priorities and thrive in a culture that is focused on results.
The position requires excellent oral and written communication skills, strong and clear analytical thinking, and creative problem solving. Further, the position requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust and sustain relationships with diverse individuals and groups. The Director will oversee and manage special projects and other administrative duties as identified and assigned by the Senior Vice President, Strategic Partnerships.
Marketing and Communications Activities:
- Develops and drives an integrated external and internal marketing and communications strategy that supports the strategic goals and objectives of the Purpose Built working cross-functionally with various departments within the organization, including fundraising.
- Promotes, enhances, advances, and protects Purpose Built’s brand reputation.
- Broadens awareness of Purpose Built programs and priorities; increases the visibility of programs and initiatives across key stakeholder audiences; advances the Purpose Built’s position with relevant constituents and drives broader awareness and financial support for the organization.
- Initiates and conducts communications consultations with project managers for all major Purpose Built events and marketing activities, securing needed information from project managers and communicating with marketing and communications team about project specifications.
- Keeps projects flowing through department and manages timelines and budgets for communications projects.
- Ensures execution of marketing and communication plans through effective leadership of marketing and communications.
- Leverages external advertising, branding, marketing, and PR firms in alignment with Purpose Built Communities brand values and strategic goals.
- Works with the leadership team to develop critical marketing and branding plans and materials.
- Develops and tracks metrics and criteria for all marketing and communications activities. Provides quality control for concepts and projects.
- Evaluates project outcomes in a marketing and communications debrief as established during a planning phase.
- Reviews and revises marketing and communications policies, protocols, procedures, and best practices for the organization.
Leadership and Management Activities:
- Leads marketing and communications and supports team member development.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentors and develops team members using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Establishes and monitors goals, sets objectives, and establishes priorities.
- Oversees the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
- Builds an appropriate marketing and communications structure that provides coordination and efficiency of marketing and messaging across the organization.
- Develops the marketing and communications annual strategy and budget under supervision of the Senior Vice President, Strategic Partnerships.
- Manages day-to-day marketing and communications budget activities.
- Serves as central project manager and liaison between internal and external stakeholders, coordinating collateral development activities.
Public Relations Activities:
- Supports the CEO as the primary spokesperson for the Purpose Built Communities and acts as primary entry point for media inquiries.
- Manages Purpose Built responses to issues.
- Maintains Purpose Built relationships with local, regional, and national media.
- Maintains relationships with the Purpose Built’s public relations agency (if applicable), including the workflow for projects and public relations efforts.
- Manages all news releases and advisories.
- Develops media plans, pitches stories to media, coordinates interviews, creates and maintains media lists, researches media opportunities and builds relationships with key media outlets/contacts.
- Tracks daily news articles that pertain to the Purpose Built, maintaining an archive of news coverage.
- Coordinates the production of annual impact report in collaboration with the Senior Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Vice President, Impact.
- Prepares presentations given by Purpose Built CEO and other key staff members as needed.
- Keeps track of all speaking engagements and schedules as needed. Writes background memos, presentations, and remarks for Purpose Built events as needed.
- Gathers content and ensures consistent messaging for digital and print ads.
- Proofs digital and print messaging with an emphasis on consistency of message.
Creative Direction Activities:
- Establishes creative direction for the entire line of services and programs, designed to reflect Purpose Built’s persona and generate optimal impact in messaging.
- Leads all visual concept development, branding and user experience, including execution of integrated advertising and marketing campaigns for both internal and external audiences.
- Develops and directs creative concepts that meet the Purpose Built objectives and advances the brand strategy in all facets, from event themes to traditional and digital media.
- Oversees development of print and digital communications, marketing collateral and electronic communications including websites and digital media; oversees relationships with vendors.
- Supervises creative design and directs visual images that communicate the organization's marketing messages relevant to Purpose Built audiences.
- Supervises all communications projects from concept through completion. Audits Purpose Built marketing and communications materials.
Our purpose is clear.
Our mission is urgent.
Purpose Built Communities helps local leaders revitalize neighborhoods to create greater racial equity, economic mobility, and improved health outcomes for families and children.
2380 Hosea L Williams Dr NE Suite 4
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert