Our mission is to be a sanctuary that nurtures the lives of women and their families by providing a continuum of family-centered holistic care surrounding the childbearing experience. We have a vision of a community where birth is embraced as the most fundamental part of a conscious and connected human experience, where women’s voices are heard and medical intervention is a necessary exception, not the norm. Atlanta Birth Center has been a vision shared by local industry professionals based on the birth center model of care with the premise that pregnancy and birth are normal life events and should be women-centered. This model includes prenatal care, mind, body, spirit and social monitoring, postpartum support, and much more. We believe that a local area hospital cannot duplicate this experience, as its model of care is based solely on a medicalized process that presents a higher risk of low birth weight, infant mortality, use of interventions and more. We are Atlanta’s only birth center, and we have been accredited with the Commision for the Accreditation of Birth Centers since 2017.
We have experienced rapid growth and change since our accreditation. During this time, we recognized that we face unique challenges, blending both our clinical setting with the nonprofit business model. Large multisite hospitals are closing locations due to funding issues while Georgia also faces a maternal mortality crisis. Because of this, we are seeking a leader who can straddle both worlds, advocate for policy change that impacts childbearing, while also leading a staff and overseeing the day-to-day operations.
Executive Director role:
The Executive Director (ED) reports to the Board of Directors and is chiefly responsible for upholding the mission, increasing brand-awareness with the community, and meeting financial objectives. Successful candidates will have clinical experience, passion for the work, and familiarity with nonprofit management. Strong communication skills are a must, and experience overseeing financials is required. Previous involvement in fundraising, strategic planning, budgeting, putting together policies, procedures, and systems is desired.
The Executive Director has a broad range of leadership, management and oversight responsibilities, including but not limited to:
Establishing, managing, and stewarding strategic relationships with donors, sponsors, partner organizations, individuals, government agencies, elected officials, and other stakeholders.
- Serving as an external face of the organization with the ability to tell Atlanta Birth Center’s story, and ensuring all activities and programs are properly publicized.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the sector.
- Managing a culturally diverse and inclusive workplace, clientele and community.
- Overseeing all human resources activities, including payroll, contracting, management of staff, and benefits administration.
- Managing all business development activities, and ensuring the organization has diverse revenue streams.
- Ensuring that the organization has a long-range strategy and consistently works towards progress on that strategy.
- Working with the Board in preparing the annual budget and ensuring the organization operates within budget guidelines. Maintaining official records and documents and ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. Preparing the organization for an annual audit and working with the auditors, as appropriate.
- Leveraging the board’s expertise and ensuring the board has the skills, tools, and resources needed to help the organization succeed.
- Other duties as assigned and/or as required with the evolution of the organization.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ability to manage all responsibilities listed above.
- Passionate about the work of Atlanta Birth Center, and maternal health in general.
- Prior work in healthcare systems or clinical settings.
- Comfort serving as a public persona, with a preference for fundraising experience.
- Budget oversight, and the ability to make decisions based upon data.
- Leadership experience.
- Strong communication skills, with comfort speaking publicly.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strategic planning experience.
- Previous experience working with expecting families preferred
- Adept at putting together policies, procedures, and systems.
Benefits including paid holidays, paid-time off, health insurance, and continuing education stipend
The Executive Director will need to be located in Atlanta, GA and be in the office regularly.
Interested applicants should send a resume to hiring@purposepossible[dot]com with the subject “Atlanta Birth Center Executive Director.” Applications will be open until February 19th. In your email, please outline how your experience matches with the knowledge, skills, and experience listed. Also share why you’re interested in the role.
Employment is provided through Atlanta Birth Center. Atlanta Birth Center is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, disability, religion, creed, political affiliation, race, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or national origin. The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time. Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position.