Title: Federal Affairs Manager
Reports to: Federal Affairs Director
Direct Reports: None
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking a Federal Affairs Manager to join our team. The Federal Affairs Manager serves as a member of the Government Affairs team, executing Giffords’ federal legislative strategy and promoting the Giffords policy agenda with Congress, the Administration, and partner organizations. Position requires ability and interest in staffing occasional evening or weekend events, with up to 5% of travel expected.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. This position will work a hybrid schedule, with one day a week in the office and four days a week remotely. All Giffords employees are expected to be up-to-date on COVID vaccinations, including boosters.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + Responsibilities
- Execute work plans for advancing organization’s gun violence prevention policy priorities at the federal level
- Manage relationships with congressional offices through frequent contact with designated portfolio of legislators and their staff and allied organizations to strengthen relationships, communicate Giffords’ mission and goals, and provide education regarding gun safety issues
- Monitor legislative developments on an ongoing basis, provide analysis of new information, and support the federal affairs agenda by drafting talking points, fact sheets, testimony, letters, and memos
- Plan briefings and events promoting the organization’s advocacy agenda
- Coordinate with state legislative and engagement teams to identify opportunities for grasstops leaders to participate in advocacy events at the federal level (press conferences, briefings, etc.)
- Support and help execute Giffords’ grassroots activities on Capitol Hill by training and assisting grassroots supporters participating in advocacy events
- Register as a lobbyist and meet all compliance regulations and requirements related to federal lobbying work
- Staff occasional evening or weekend events
- Support Giffords’ internal inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism (IDEA) work
- Other duties as assigned
Required knowledge, skills + experience
- Two to four years’ experience with lobbying, advocacy, policy development, and policy analysis at the federal level
- Ability to coordinate effectively with allied organizations, build new relationships, and create partnerships
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor and interest in working closely with people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Shares Giffords’ commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and anti-racism (IDEA)
Valued non-essential knowledge, skills, + experience
- Prior Capitol Hill experience
- Familiarity with federal firearms regulations
- Prior work in nonprofit advocacy
Salary + benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and the range for this position starts at $58,500. We expect most candidates to come in at the beginning of the range. Competitive benefits include employer funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of paid time off (PTO) annually plus paid week closure at the end of the year; and ten paid holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position—bullet points are great. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.