Alternate ROOTS supports the creation and presentation of original art that is rooted in community, place, tradition or spirit. We are a group of artists and cultural organizers based in the US South creating a better world together. As Alternate ROOTS, we call for social and economic justice and are working to dismantle all forms of oppression – everywhere.
The Communications Manager is a full time position that provides oversight of the Communications team workflow and editorial oversight for all external content. This position ensures that Alternate ROOTS’ communications support and uplift the work of the organization and its membership through consistency and accuracy in articulating its mission. The Communications Manager also supports the operational and financial administration of the Communications team.
Essential Job Functions & Key Outcomes
- Manage the communications team work, in alignment with overall communications strategy.
- Develop and maintain the internal and external calendars, timelines, and project management software.
- Coordinate the execution of all communications projects including website updates, digital and email marketing materials, newsletters and print publications.
- Develop systems that ensure efficient and effective workflow.
- Provide editorial oversight for all communications to maintain consistency of strategy and style, as well as accuracy of content. Proofread all copy and publication prior to publication.
- Manage website updates to ensure information is up to date and accessible.
- Manage the flow of public information; distribute organizational and field-wide announcements through proper channels (Member News, Google listservs, etc.).
- Provide logistical support for the organization’s growing language justice and accessibility practices.
- Assist in the compilation and management of the team budget; issue payment requests and manage expense tracking.
- Create, submit, and track agreements for contractors ensuring timely payment; provide logistical support for contractors as needed.
- Contribute to organizational development by participating in strategic and long-range planning, representing ROOTS at field-wide conferences, actively participating in maintaining a healthy work culture, providing thought partnership and support for indigenizing/decolonizing work, and supporting ROOTS hosted events and Face-to-Face meetings through attendance, as permitted.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Highly skilled at effectively managing a high volume of projects with overlapping deadlines; adept at building realistic timelines and coordinating across teams to complete projects in a timely manner.
Knowledge of effective and appropriate communication strategies and practices and the ability to use and adapt that knowledge in various contexts.
Fluent in the use of Google Suite, Slack, project management software (Monday.com), Wordpress, MailChimp, and social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook.
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and pronunciation.
Skill in editing and formatting content and copy in accordance with communications strategy and style guides.
Excellent proofreading skills.
Skill in developing and managing budgets, contracts, and expense tracking.
General knowledge about language justice, accessibility strategies.
Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
Ability to analyze, organize, and prioritize work while meeting multiple deadlines.
Ability to communicate information in writing and speaking to a wide variety of audiences so that they will understand.
Ability to work collaboratively and build relations with colleagues, coworkers, and others.
Ability to work successfully as a member of a team and independently.
Ability to work remotely.
Commitment to work at the intersections of art and social justice movements; familiarity with the language, histories, theories, and practices that undergird this field.
Willingness to work within progressive decision-making processes moving toward decolonization and transformative justice practices.
Familiarity with southern cultural traditions, and social and artistic movement landscape.
Spanish language fluency is preferred but not required.
The Communications Manager is a full time, 40 hours per week, exempt position that is fully remote. In addition to competitive salaries total compensation includes:
- A fully remote work environment, with flexibility to meet your schedule
- 2 weeks vacation (to start), 3 floating holidays, 7 wellness days and 3 weeks of office closure days for holidays and end of the year staff reflection
- Monthly office and wellness stipends
- Annual individual professional development funds
- Medical insurance paid at 100% for staff members
- Vision, dental, and other ancillary benefits
- Non-elective 401k contributions (regardless of the employee contribution)
- Paid 6 month sabbatical after 6 years of service
Friday, February 17 2023
Target Start Date
Late March-Early April 2023
Alternate ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, trans and gender non-conforming individuals, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.
Alternate ROOTS will not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sexual harassment, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities or status as a covered veteran or any other attribute or characteristic protected by law in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially.