The Hadassah Director, Government Relations/DC Lobbyist is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial role that works collaboratively across the organization, and acts as Hadassah’s chief lobbyist in Washington, DC. The Director of Government Relations/DC Lobbyist helps advance Hadassah’s legislative priorities and works to build the voices of Hadassah’s leadership and membership in Washington, DC. The primary focus will be at the federal level, but the position will support and provide expertise to Hadassah’s state-level advocacy efforts as well.
The position requires strong political acumen, a deep understanding of the legislative process, strong relationship building skills, strong communications skills and strategic-level thinking. The incumbent will help further Hadassah’s advocacy for the US-Israel relationship as an American Zionist organization, as well as support legislative action focused on women’s and public health, including expanding women’s health research and access to care. At the same time, the position requires a collaborative leader to coordinate actions and campaigns with Hadassah’s volunteer leadership and staff, engage Hadassah’s grassroots membership and generate external visibility for Hadassah’s work.
Internally, the Director will work closely with Hadassah’s Education and Advocacy Division which includes both staff and volunteer leadership to set and advance legislative and advocacy priorities, as well as with Hadassah’s executive team to help position the organization in Washington, DC. The incumbent will also work collaboratively with Hadassah’s Philanthropy Division on identifying and assisting with Federal Grants.
Externally, the incumbent will represent Hadassah at meetings and events with lawmakers, strategic partners, donors and other stakeholder and will advance Hadassah’s efforts to grow its Influential to Israel program.
Hadassah is a nonpartisan organization and works with members of Congress on both sides of the aisle to advance its policy agenda. The incumbent should be able to find common ground and work with lawmakers and organizations across the political spectrum. The position is based in Washington, DC and will require occasional travel to Hadassah’s office in New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Internal Policy Development and Coordination
- Work collaboratively with internal teams and external consultants to identify legislative and regulatory concerns, priorities, and policy trends, where Hadassah can add impactful advocacy leadership.
- Provide strategic thinking and contribute to strategy development to influence public policy outcomes and grassroots engagement.
- Plan trips for senior leaders, including the CEO and National President, to visit Capitol Hill and meet key stakeholders.
- Proactively monitor and report on activity and developments in Congress and the administration including hearings, legislation, regulation and more, which have political impact on issues of interest to Hadassah. Recommend courses of action to advocacy and grassroots team staff and volunteers.
- Actively participate in weekly virtual advocacy meetings and regular strategic planning and brainstorming sessions.
- Submit detailed weekly reports of all DC activities and meetings
External Relationship Building
- Serve as lead federal lobbyist on issues related to support for Israel, women’s and public health and combating antisemitism.
- Suggest strategies to elevate Hadassah’s public visibility and presence.
- Build strategic relationships with congressional members, staff and agency officials who can help Hadassah to advance its agenda and secure achievement of Hadassah’s policy goals.
- Support partnerships with non-profit groups, Jewish communal groups, women’s health advocacy organizations, faith organizations, think tanks, and other groups that support Hadassah’s mission.
- Promote relationships between key officials through developing and staffing trips for senior executives, as well as developing other methodologies for engagement.
- Attend external stakeholder meetings and congressional gatherings related to both Zionist and women’s health policy on behalf of Hadassah, including occasional speaking opportunities.
- Make Hadassah aware of any possible emerging funding opportunities, as well as identifying and then making recommendations on possible program partners that are mission-centered and can help expand our impact.
- Other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Education or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree in public policy, foreign affairs, law, or related field preferred.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience in similar advocacy and government relationship roles that connect to Hadassah’s priorities.
- Experience and interest in both Zionist and women’s health advocacy and women’s rights.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for internal teams and external audiences.
- A proven track record of working collaboratively with colleagues and external stakeholders to achieve campaign goals.
- Existing relationships with relevant constituencies, including with key administration and congressional staff and committees a strongly preferred.
- The individual will be required to register as a lobbyist.