Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
The Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in STEM (SACNAS) is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM. Our vision is to achieve true diversity in STEM, whereby the STEM enterprise proportionally reflects the demographics of the nation. SACNAS stands uniquely and uncompromisingly for science, culture, and community. We believe there is space for all of us; we choose celebration over assimilation.
SACNAS serves 8,500 active members and 162 student and professional chapters and reaches a larger community of supporters of 25,000. Our 2021-2026 strategic plan lays out ambitious plans for growth, envisioning a doubling of members, chapters, and resources.
Job Title: Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Reports To: Director, Organizational Advancement
Salary Range: $77,250-87,549
Inclusion: We encourage, support, and provide space for our team to bring their whole selves to work, intentionally creating space and integrating processes to welcome and celebrate differences and foster a sense of belonging
Collaboration: We work together and support each other by actively inviting thought partnership and generative dialogue to build, challenge, and strengthen all ideas and actions because we recognize we are better together.
Innovation: We encourage data-driven creativity and experimentation, boldly embracing new ways of thinking that challenge us to push the envelope and grow from our experiences.
Accountability: We recognize our work reflects on our colleagues and community, and therefore put forward our best effort, take responsibility for our successes and challenges, and ask for help early and often.
The Senior Manager, Communications & Marketing is responsible for creating, implementing, and executing a comprehensive strategic marketing and communications plan to reach SACNAS members, partners, the public, and other constituencies. The successful candidate is an entrepreneurial activator with a validated intuition for effective messaging, and a data-driven approach to continuous improvement. The Senior Manager will be expected to build a strong, multi-faceted brand presence on all digital channels, and produce engaging content that is aligned with the organization’s mission and five-year strategic goals.
The Senior Manager will employ a modern array of digital communication tools, as well as other tools and techniques to create a steady, fresh, and engaging stream of communication that ensures easy and intuitive points of contact for all stakeholders. The Senior Manager will have a strong sense for communications that generate partnerships, increase membership, and create and engage donors, as well as a sincere desire to continuously learn and adapt to better direct messaging.
The Senior Manager will create innovative content that bolsters and enhances the brand through storytelling that amplifies SACNAS’ reach, engagement, and impact. The Senior Manager will create the interstitial communication and marketing content that weaves across and through our larger campaigns and priorities to ensure SACNAS’ communications are a source of joy that are routinely checked by stakeholders and sought out for interesting information and stories.
This position will shape and hone the voice of the organization. The Senior Manager is expected to coordinate flow and align the content of all digital media and communications generated by the various departments within the organization. The position requires you to work and collaborate with a diverse group of department directors, and in accordance with the integrated organizational plan. The desired candidate is a relationship-first contributor, highly creative, deadline driven, and possesses a problem-solving mentality rooted in a customer service ethic. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to grow the organization’s communications work in breadth and sophistication and grow to the director level over the course of the current 2021-2026 five-year strategic plan.
Lead Marketing & Communication. Develop and execute a comprehensive annual plan for all SACNAS marketing and communications strategies and goals.
- Own SACNAS Social Media planning and execution
- Own SACNAS Marketing and PR project coordination
- Own SACNAS monthly newsletter planning and execution
- Own SACNAS public brand across digital platforms
- Own content creation for platforms where SACNAS brand + storytelling is concerned
- Strategically plan and execute all marketing and communication needs for the annual NDiSTEM Conference
- Lift up the incredible work of various teams and their members.
- Manage and develop content for SACNAS website
- Provide analytics and reports to all Department heads, the Executive Director, and the Board of Directors.
Partner to create content that drives revenue. Support SACNAS Team in all fundraising and partnership development opportunities.
- Exchange and communicate facts, issues, and ideas about SACNAS to diverse stakeholders (brand partners, ambassadors, applicants, etc.).
- Support content creation for targeted donor communications and updates
- Support communications and marketing for brand ambassadors, partners, and awardees
Competence with the technology platforms and tools of the trade:
- HubSpot (email marketing, ads, landing page development, etc.)
- Smartsheet (project management and collaboration)
- YourMembership (member management system)
- Social media: Sprout Social, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok
- Zoom (virtual events)
- Canva (graphics)
- SurveyMonkey (digest and translate data into strategies and messages)
- Microsoft suite, Excel and Microsoft Teams
Partner to create awesome content. Work with internal stakeholders to create written and visual content (email campaigns, prospectus, newsletters, social media graphics and posts, website content, blog posts, etc.).
Use data to make sound decisions. Track, analyze, and report on the impact of SACNAS’ digital presence and key performance metrics and provide reports using a variety of platforms and tools such as Excel, HubSpot Analytics, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc., identify trends and insights, and recommend areas for improvement.
Other duties as assigned
- Hire and supervise Marketing and Communications Coordinator and interns
- Manage relationships with contractors and vendors
“Culture eats strategy for lunch.” Equal in value to your education and experience is cultural fit. We see the following eight items as must have “ways of being” for the role and the organization. Of course, we understand these show up uniquely for everyone. We invite you to consider your fit as you consider this role.
- Self-awareness. You have a unique level of self-awareness. You understand what you carry into conversation/environments each day and have personal tools to productively adapt to most situations to keep yourself and others on mission.
- Collaborative through and through. You understand the magic is in our ability to bring together our collective best. You recognize your limitations and engage colleagues to strengthen ideas. You energize others to complete projects and achieve results, in a manner authentic to you.
- Mission-aligned ambition. You are a seasoned contributor with a wild entrepreneurial streak, ready to move to the next level. You will impact SACNAS by owning our communications and marketing strategies.
- Comfort working in a lean, mission-driven organization. You connect with the SACNAS mission. You understand that everyone must lean in, and you are ready to “carry water” on day one and eager to learn.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders across multiple channels. You are a storyteller. You can convey the essence of the biggest ideas and the subtleties of deeply personal issues in a way that inspires and grows support and connects our members.
- Independent thinker with a bias toward action. You can take high level guidance and transform ideas into an executable plan with clear milestones and defined deliverables. You are not trapped by pre-existing ways of doing and thinking and can think through the necessary steps to turn new ideas in to completed projects.
- Results driven and budget conscious. You balance the ends and means. You find ways to do the work that don’t always involve spending more money and intuitively appreciate the importance of maximizing return on investment for everyone involved.
- Organized and able to manage time. You have keen project management skills, naturally develop timelines for projects. You think in terms project plans and contingency planning despite the complex nature of communicating to a diverse array of stakeholders. You seek order and use tools to help you stay on top of competing priorities and multiple deadlines.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism; or relevant experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in marketing or communications, with at least two years in a lead role
CRITICAL SKILLS, QUALITIES, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently, strong people-management skills, and previous experience managing teams
- Ability to mentor and effectively oversee work of staff members
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to meet deadlines, and to help others meet their deadlines.
- Comprehensive strategic thinking and rapid problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with a modern array of digital communication tools including: HubSpot, Canva, Survey Monkey, YM
- Project Management certification a plus
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- An ability to embrace and incorporate direct feedback
- Excellent writer and editor
- Spanish and/or indigenous dialect language skills a plus
- Ability to analyze data and make solid recommendations for improved strategy
- Well-developed computer and office skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and familiarity with database software
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy as it relates to data entry and program implementation
- Strong skills in problem solving and teamwork
- Excellent professional communication skills, particularly written communication skills
- Ability to succeed and enjoy working in a fast‐paced, highly dynamic environment with a proven skill set utilizing sound judgment, creativity, and effective time management solutions
- Ability to adapt well to a continuously changing set of tasks, projects, and responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality around sensitive and complex relationships and projects
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends; and to travel to the National Diversity in STEM conference for a week in October.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary Range: $77,250-87,549
- Health, dental, vision, & life insurance plans
- 401(k) Retirement with company match
- Professional Development Support
- Generous PTO & Paid Holidays
The salary range outlined above is for the state of California and represents the organization’s good faith minimum and max range for this role at the time of posting. The actual compensation offered to a candidate will be dependent on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, the candidate’s experience, qualifications, and location.
Please provide a resume, a cover letter highlighting minimum and desired qualifications, and three professional references. All materials must be submitted to be considered. Application materials should be submitted to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of SACNAS not to discriminate against any individual employee, group of employees or prospective employee for reasons of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental or sensory disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
SACNAS is committed to providing equal opportunities in all employment-related activities including, but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, advancement, compensation, training, benefits, transfers, and terms of employment. SACNAS promotes equal opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment. Further, SACNAS will fully comply with all applicable equal employment