One thousand-year-old trees in an ancient forest! As our Writer, Storyteller & Editor, you would be a member of the communications team focused on crafting high-quality and inspirational stories to expand awareness of the League's mission to protect and preserve these natural wonders for future generations.
Are you a superlative, persuasive, energetic, and strategic writer and editor, who is able to inspire audiences with varied perspectives, sensitivities and cultures? If so, you would develop clear, engaging and informative content to help our supporters, decision makers and the public understand complex science, forest health, policy and stewardship topics and issues. Working closely with the President & CEO and internal stakeholders, you would also create compelling content and ensure a unified voice is presented across all League communication channels.
We provide excellent benefits including paid vacation, sick time, medical, dental, vision, online tele-therapy, health advocacy and employee assistance programs, life insurance, a generous 401k match, and more!
Compensation: $97,200 - $100,250 a year, depending on experience
For over 100 years, Save the Redwoods League has been dedicated to protecting the ancient redwood forests so all generations can experience the inspiration and majesty of redwoods. Since its founding in 1918, Save the Redwoods League has protected more than 200,000 acres of forests and helped create 66 redwood parks and preserves for everybody to enjoy. To learn more about us, go to www.SaveTheRedwoods.org.
Gathering, Writing and Editing Inspirational and Educational Stories and Communications:
- Drafts, creates, implements, writes, and unifies the League’ voice in all League channels, major issues and announcements to unify League messaging
- Maintains consistency, accuracy and the League’s voice in all printed and digital communications
- Researches and identifies emerging trends and hot topics; writes, edits, and produces stories for publications that are eye-catching, inspirational, educational, culturally relevant, and accurate that drives traffic to our website, resulting in an informed audience moved to learn more, protect redwoods, and engage with or donate to the League
- Partners with marketing and communications teams, and staff members to determine ways to position content created for League channels
- Collaborates with program staff; identifies stories and potential story leads for marketing and communications for cultivation and engagement
- Works with Director of Communications; develops and executes the League’s content marketing program
- Leverages new media (social, video, etc.) to create fresh, engaging content to attract new and diverse audiences
- Ensures the League's diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) values are reflected in the League's written and visual content and publications
- Develops, writes and publishes content (including, but not limited to blog posts, op-eds, social posts, and informal videos) that positions the President and CEO as a leader in the redwoods conservation arena, and shared with supporters via League channels
- Partners with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and CEO; creates talking points, presentations and speeches for the CEO’s public appearances and speaking engagements
- Updates the CEO’s social media accounts and blog; disseminates the CEO’s messages and builds a platform of online followers i.e., Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc.
Writing, Editorial Support, and Engagement:
- Serves as Marketing and Communication representative on project teams, as needed
- Proofreads fundraising and program communications
- Serves as an editor for all content
- Trains staff on how to be consistent with the League's brand and voice
QUALIFICATIONS and WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Personal passion for preserving and protecting the natural world with a belief in the mission, principles, and values of Save the Redwoods League’s approach to conservation
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, English, English Literature, advertising or other related field; graduate work in journalism, communications, marketing, or public relations a plus
- 5+ years’ experience in communications, marketing, and public relations with solid writing and editing experience
- 4+ years’ experience managing projects that require staff and outside contractor involvement and contribution
- 3+ years’ experience working in executive or senior leadership communications
- Skilled user of Microsoft 365, including Office applications, SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams
- Competent user of social media platforms
- Knowledge of the story development process from concept through production, including a deep understanding of visual continuity and story
- Able to develop new ideas and build new relationships, especially in the digital space
- Able to work under deadline pressure to complete assignments
- Success in managing a diversified and effective communications program
- Ability to work independently, serve as project lead and be a contributing team member
- Personable with a sense of humor, grace, patience and warm professionalism
- Demonstrated cultural competency and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities; verbal and written fluency in a language other than English is desirable
- Occasional weekend and evening responsibilities
- Occasionally required to hike through forest land while working off-site including walking on uneven ground, climbing over obstacles, and accessing remote locations
- Occasionally lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 30 pounds
TO BE CONSIDERED:
Please email your resume, a cover letter addressing why you are a great fit for this role, and your salary expectations to Jobs@SaveTheRedwoods.org with "Writer, Storyteller & Editor” in the subject line.
NO CALLS PLEASE... we are busy protecting redwoods. THANK YOU!
Save the Redwoods League is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating an environment of equity and inclusion. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority; people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives.