Location: This position is located in Washington, DC and due to the nature of the work will be required to come into the office 2-3 days a week.
To Apply: Please submit Resume & Cover Letter by February 19th
Reporting to the Director of Direct Response Marketing & Member Services, the Membership Associate will process and log all donations received in-house, provide timely responses to member and supporter inquiries and help maintain records in Customer Relationship Management systems (CRMs.) The Membership Associate is detail-oriented and has experience with customer service and managing vendor relationships.
This position plays an important role in supporting an inclusive organizational culture that is grounded in trust and accountability to shared goals and outcomes. TWS has made diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic priorities for the organization and the Membership Associate will integrate these priorities throughout their essential duties and responsibilities as well as their goals. Across our team, we aspire to be campaign oriented, nimble, collaborative, innovative, transparent, and supportive of staff – our greatest asset.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring all cash receipts and pledges are entered into the CRM systems in a timely and accurate manner.
- Collaborates regularly with membership, philanthropy and finance team members to establish and maintain internal systems to ensure that income is allocated to appropriate internal accounts.
- Manages internal process and storage of documentation for all data entry, lockbox and income processing procedures.
- Completes monthly income processing according to schedule established by management and sends notification of monthly close to designated staff.
- Performs all donor refund requests and adjustments in database (check and credit card)
- Helps ensure that income uploads from all vendors are received and uploaded according to schedule noted in vendor’s contract and reports problems to the Director of Direct Response Marketing & Member Services.
- Serves as lead on processing special donations such as employee matching gifts, Donor Advised Funds, third party charitable giving, etc.
- Assists Finance staff during annual audit process and responds to requests from auditors as needed.
- Generates weekly gift log for all donations received in-house.
- Assists as needed in providing effective donor service and communications with TWS’ members and the general public. Participates in regular meetings and performance reviews with vendors to provide answers to questions to guide handling of interactions with members. Helps keep vendors informed of changes in TWS Membership policies or procedures. Maintains up-to-date FAQS and content within Email interface platform to provide membership and conservation information to the public. Assists on special projects as directed by Director of Direct Response Marketing on systems which support donors’ experiences, including via phone, website, email and chat. Coordinates with staff across all Marketing and Communications teams. Assists as needed with training and documentation on all policies and procedures necessary for individuals to handle member escalations and exceptions that cannot be resolved at first contact.
- Identifies and watches for trends, processing errors, or other issues which may affect performance of the Membership program. Contributes to meetings, analysis and other efforts to improve or solve issues. Assists with documentation and development of new procedures to prevent problems from recurring.
- Helps manage monthly giving program by updating donor information, answering questions, and addressing concerns.
- Performs regular data hygiene in database of record to clean up duplicate records, correct salutation, punctuation and capitalization issues and more.
- Perform updates and changes to records in CRMs to maintain accurate donor information, including adding and removing contact flags, updating contact information, account merges, interaction updates, and more.
- Provides assistance outputting biweekly acknowledgment and premium weekly files as needed.
- Participates in special projects, including opportunities to engage in learning sessions on equity, diversity, and inclusion as well as participate in the Philanthropy diversity, equity, and inclusion recruitment team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years of data entry, member services and systems, or other detailed-oriented project management experience.
- Track record working successfully in teams representing a rich mix of talent, backgrounds, and perspectives—across race and gender.
- Knowledge and understanding of practices applicable to customer service, customer satisfaction and vendor supervision
- Strong problem-solving aptitude. Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with limited instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, with staff and vendors.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Basic understanding of CRM relational database systems, experience in fundraising software or operations are all pluses.
- General knowledge of fundraising, especially direct mail is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, or handle; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to adverse weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of experience, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
The Wilderness Society offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; sick and vacation leave; a sabbatical program; and a retirement plan. TWS is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees and constituents across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status or sexual orientation.
TWS has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all staff reporting to a TWS office or engaging in in-person work meetings. There is an exception to the vaccine mandate for any staff who have an objection because of a medical or religious reason. We will do our best to devise reasonable accommodation that respects your objection while balancing the competing demands of your specific position.
As an organization, we aspire to being inclusive in the work that we do, and in the kind of organization we are. Internally this means working as a team that listens to different points of view, recognizes the contributions of every employee and empowers each employee to bring their whole selves to work every day. Externally this means ensuring that public lands are inclusive and welcoming, so that our shared wildlands can help people and nature to thrive. We are committed to equity throughout our work, which we define as our commitment to realizing the promise of our public lands and ensuring that all can share in their universal benefits.
To learn more about our commitment, please see http://wilderness.org/our-commitment-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-wilderness-society