The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and provides overall leadership for fundraising and development programs including major gift fundraising, annual gift fundraising, corporate/foundation gifts and sponsorships, planned giving, prospect research, special events and database management. The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and donors at all levels to develop both long-term and immediate strategies and programs for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of constituents in all matters pertaining to philanthropic support of the School.
- Oversee all development activities including annual and capital campaigns, major gifts, special events, planned giving, prospect research, grant writing, volunteer management, donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders such as corporations, foundations and individuals while expanding and diversifying the donor base through an ongoing cultivation and stewardship program.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to appropriately steward existing donors and develop strategies for adding new donors into the pipeline.
- Prepare briefing and strategy materials for the Executive Director and Board of Directors and accompany them on calls to prospective donors for purposes of forming partnerships, building relationships, and soliciting donations.
- Maintain an annual fundraising calendar that includes deadlines for submission as well as stewardship reporting.
- Draft and submit grant applications and foundation appeals as well as outcome reports as required by the donor.
- Oversee the effective use and maintenance of the donor database.
- Research and analyze data to identify and prioritize the School’s major gift prospects, including development of cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Develop and oversee a donor recognition plan, including donor appreciation opportunities.
- Coordinate the receipt and acknowledgement of donations, collection of pledges, ensuring that donor restrictions and specifications are honored, communicating with donors and the public, and maintaining donor records.
- Oversee the annual fundraising budget including providing periodic reports for the Executive Director and Board of Directors with an analysis of all fundraising activities.
- Organize and train board members and volunteers in the solicitation of charitable gifts and provide them with guidance, support and required materials.
- Represent the School to volunteer groups, at events, and in the community with the goal of increasing the visibility of the School’s priorities and needs.
- Assume related responsibilities and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A minimum of 3 - 4 years of successful development experience working with individual, corporate and foundation donors. Experience in a school environment is preferred;
- Demonstrated success in securing major gifts;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including a track record of writing successful grant applications;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Strategic thinking skills demonstrated by results in various projects;
- The ability to build confidence and trust;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors;
- Experience with DonorPerfect or similar donor database;
- Strong computer skills and ease with technology including proficiency in Microsoft Office software;
- Demonstrated accountability, professionalism, and responsiveness;
- Ability to maintain oral and written contact with the Executive Director, board, staff peers and volunteers for the purpose of exchanging information, providing progress reports regarding activities and programs, and coordinating activities;
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality internally and externally as it relates to donor relations; and
- Availability for weekend and evening work to support fundraising and marketing activities.