Responsible for directly overseeing and managing the accounting, finance, and grants management functions and related staff. Designs, plans and implements strategies, goals and procedures in each area of responsibility supporting daily operations and growth initiatives.
Responsible for overseeing and managing all fiscal and fiduciary functions of the organization to include the development, implementation and maintenance of all corporate accounting and financial management policies, procedures and systems including fund accounting, financial reporting and analysis, audit oversight and management, policy development, internal control, general accounting, budgeting and forecasting, and financial investment accounting.
Provides strategic financial analysis with recommendations in support of strategic goals in areas of responsibility as well as overall organizational viability. Continuously assesses organizational capacity, reporting financial results providing recommendations for change management. Serves as the finance liaison to Board of Directors, committees or work groups as well as other ad hoc committees as needed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
An integral member of the executive leadership team and serves as the leader of all financial business aspects of the organization.
Strategic Thinking & Planning
- Provides strategic financial analysis and thoughtful counsel in support of the organization’s strategic goals in areas of responsibility.
- Leads the development of strategic financial planning, contributing to setting annual goals and financial initiatives with the CEO and senior leadership team.
- Develops strategies and plans for key projects and initiatives.
- Navigates, transforms and drives change to professionally and fully integrate initiatives, enabling strategic movement.
- Motivates and leads finance and accounting team to ensure a positive and collaborative environment resulting in the creation of a high performing team.
- Actively participates in the recruitment, selection, training, coaching and ongoing evaluation of finance and accounting staff. Ensures that adequate cross-training is implemented and maintained for all critical functions.
- Conducts individual and team performance assessments; facilitates and supports growth, training and development of team members.
- Partners with Information Systems staff to plan, design, test, implement and maintain effective accounting and fund administration software.
- Ensures data integrity for all financial systems.
- Oversees process optimization efforts and technology enhancements for improved customer service, analytics and reporting.
- Ensures continuous improvement of the organization’s financial operating systems, including strategic and effective use of technology to improve financial processes.
Accounting & Finance Management:
- Oversees the day-to-day administration and control of the accounting, treasury, grants management, and payroll functions to safeguard the organization’s assets and to ensure financial transactions are processed accurately, timely and are recorded in keeping with the accepted accounting standards and principles.
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financials reports, and financial trends by department to the CEO, committees, and staff directors to assist in decision-making and goal execution.
- Maintains internal control safeguards, reporting any deviation to the CEO.
- Manages treasury functions including cash management and banking relationships.
- Develops and utilizes forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Oversees and advises CEO on cash flow planning, preparing and reviewing budgets, and tracking operational metrics applying in-depth knowledge of risk management methods, creating forecasting models.
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance for annual budgeting process ensuring alignment to the strategic plan.
- Leads staff in the development of organization-wide budget as well as departmental budgeting plans and counsels on any adjustments.
- Performs continual evaluation of the business model, developing robust budgeting scenarios and contingencies while seeking opportunities to generate or use resources to move the organization forward toward the achievement of its goals.
Assessing, Reporting, Recommending
- Responsible for reporting, record-keeping and compliance matters involving CaringWorks transactions utilizing the corporation’s resources, including the organization’s investments.
- Assesses organizational performance against both the annual budget and the organization’s long-term strategy; develops tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and makes actionable recommendations; designs and proposes short-term and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Supervises the Grants Manager and ensures that all grant reimbursement requests are submitted to funders accurately and timely.
- May also manage a portfolio of grants.
- Ensures full compliance with all grant requirements and deadlines.
Reporting & Tax Filings
- Ensures accurate and timely preparation of all required tax filings including 990’s, 1099’s, gift annuity filings and Secretary of State and Attorney General reports.
- Manages organizational compliance with applicable tax and accounting laws and regulations.
- Monitors and implements regulatory changes as appropriate.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Ensures compliance with complex nonprofit and IRS regulations, investment regulations, GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), FAS (Financial Accounting Standards) and all related audit requirements.
- Oversees financial and operational audits and conducts ongoing research for adapting the organization’s operations and processes to changing external environments.
- Identifies opportunities for improved efficiencies and supervises the implementation of improvements to internal controls and/or operating procedures.
Board / Committee Guidance & Support
- Reviews and communicates financial performance, cash flow and consolidated financial statements and forecasts to the Board of Directors and committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration; Master’s degree preferred.
- CPA designation with nonprofit experience preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant and progressive senior accounting, audit, tax and financial reporting experience, ideally in a community foundation, higher education, or a large, complex non-profit organization.
- Experience in a senior financial management role, partnering with executive staff to develop, model, and implement creative financial management strategies.
- Must successfully pass a background check and drug screening test.
- If applicable, must possess a valid GA state driver’s license and liability insurance minimums as outlined in CaringWorks Liability insurance coverage.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Solid fiscal management and strategic planning skills with ability to coach and guide financial team.
- Expertise in financial planning and analysis is preferred.
- Experience performing research and analysis on various financial topics.
- Grants management experience.
- Demonstrated success in modeling and implementing complex financial and operational plans, using long-term goals and annual objectives as a framework.
- Demonstrated experience serving on, staffing and/or leading board committees including audit and finance.
- Demonstrated success leading the compliance and risk function for an organization.
- Technology savvy, with proven ability to support and lead large scale systems conversions.
- Skilled at working independently with a sense of self-direction and with owning appropriate leadership responsibilities in the organization; ability to be flexible and able to adapt to short and long-term shifts in job duties as the work of the organization changes as it continuously seeks to have greater impact.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using communication techniques and language appropriate to the circumstances.
- Ability to exemplify and promote flexibility and adaptability with programmatic, strategic and financial aspects.