The primary goal of this position is to build out the story-telling function within the Marketing/VIP team.
The United Way of Greater Atlanta Marketing/VIP is a team of fourteen full-time staff responsible for all brand strategy and communications – internal and external. This position is part of the Content team and works in close partnership with other Content team members, including the Social Media team, the Digital Marketing Manager, and the Senior Manager of Graphic Design. The position will also work closely with the Community Engagement (CE) team to be the key conduit to the Content team for stories about our CE staff, our Child Well-Being data, our nonprofit partners and people helped by our work. The Content Writer will work with stakeholders (internal and external) to create content that illustrates a range of social and economic issues with sensitivity and knowledge. This role is responsible for contributing to all content for the organization including, but not limited to: blog posts, op-eds, success stories, video scripts, and other marketing collateral.
- Serve as writer and content strategist for a large variety of internal and external communications including web copy, newsletters (internal and external) to segmented groups and a full database, print materials, blogs, talking points, thought leadership initiatives, video and event scripts, and more.
- Write compelling pieces that address issues related to poverty, race, hunger, etc. with tact, emotion, sensitivity, and knowledge.
- Serve in a consultative capacity on teams across the organization to inform best practices for storytelling and collect success story leads/ideas for production.
- Develop original editorial content for the company’s channels ranging from written communications such as company news articles, internal newsletters and more.
- Provide communications support on key company priorities and projects both internal and external.
- Coordinate and disseminate multimedia content to internal employees.
- Measure and continually improve strategy to drive engagement among staff via communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications-related major (e.g., English, Journalism, rhetorical studies)
- 5+ years’ successful experience in Communications
- Proven experience writing and developing communications
- Ability to craft concise, powerful narratives derived from highly complex and nuanced data sets, community history & stakeholder network.
- A strong visual writer who can identify the images and sounds of a story and relay those elements to multi-media team members.
- Ability to communicate effectively to multiple external audiences across multiple projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communications, strong business acumen, interpersonal skills, team player, consensus builder, and persuasive communicator.
- Solid skills in AP Style
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage time in a consistent manner
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to navigate successfully in a rapidly changing environment
- Resourceful and effective problem solver
- Takes initiative to maximize opportunity
- Very strong skills in working collaboratively across multiple departments/teams
- Creative thinker and effective writer
- Highly motivated self-starter