Do you love teaching or mentoring? LaAmistad is looking for applicants that live our core values and are interested in providing educational support and services to the Latino community. LaAmistad is seeking passionate, responsible tutors to support our LaAmistad Afterschool program as tutors and other duties as needed. LaAmistad Afterschool serves 12 locations across the Atlanta metro area as well as online.
Our Mission is to prepare Latino students and families for success through academic and life enrichment programs.
Our Vision that Latino students and families achieve life-long self-sufficiency.
Our Core Values:
Kindness: “The ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.
Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions."
Passion: "You can't fake passion."
Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
Monday/Wednesday and/or Tuesday/Thursday from 2:00 to 6:00 pm. LaAmistad Afterschool ends the week of May 12, 2023.
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments
- Assisting students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom
- Teaching skills to improve academic performance, including study strategies, note-taking skills and approaches to answering test questions
- Demonstrating academic best practices for specific subjects and assignments, including research and writing tactics
- Developing and distributing teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including study guides
- Conducting practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation
- Providing students positive and constructive feedback
- Offering feedback on progress to students’ parents and teachers where appropriate
- Building meaningful connections with students from diverse backgrounds
- Instructing students both in person and over video chat
- Diagnosing student needs through active listening techniques and questioning strategies
- Recognizing different learning styles and student preferences
- Designing differentiated learning goals
- Staying up to date with the school curriculum
- Experience or skill effectively exchanging and understanding information, verbally or in writing.
- Skill or experience teaching or instructing others, typically students in a classroom setting. May occur in person or via remote modes of communication.
- Skill or experience providing customized assistance to students looking to improve comprehension of a particular subject. Implies specialized knowledge of the material being studied.
- Knowledge of or experience with providing educational instruction and support to children and youth.
- Skill or experience providing care and supervision for children while also providing them with educational development.
- Experience interacting with children in a variety of roles, functions, and environments.
- Experience working with students in an educational capacity, such as teaching or tutoring.
Sponsorship is not available for this position.