Expanding our Director’s Bench:
Alongside our team of Directors, the Director of Resource Development will embody the values at the heart of our work and bring the range of skills and experience needed to achieve our strategic direction and continued growth. In close partnership with our Co-Executive Directors and Director’s bench, and with input from Leaders throughout the organization, the Director of Resource Development will support SOMOS Mayfair in building out the sustainability strategy to support SOMOS’ recent expansion and future goals. This includes identifying resources needed for us to achieve impact at the highest level internally and externally; creating opportunities to narrate impact of innovative solutions to the movement; and creating the climate and structures needed to ensure communication, integration, and alignment across teams and initiatives.
The Resource Development Team works collaboratively to secure an annual budget of approximately $6M, while also working to build organizational stability through an operating reserve. This position will supervise a team of three employees, contractors, interns, and/or volunteers.
We are excited to be joined by a deeply skilled and experienced leader who will partner with our department directors to advance our work in this pivotal phase of our development. The successful candidate for the position will be a thoughtful leader who brings relevant life experience as well as deep demonstrable track record in sustainability and resource development strategy; community partnerships; staff supervision; professional development and team building.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications and Qualities
● Deep passion and commitment to advancing racial, economic and social justice in immigrant, working class and multi-generational communities
● Previous experience as an Director/Manager of Resource Development, Director of Programs, or equivalent senior level position with at least 4 years of experience
● Demonstrated track record of planning and achieving organizational fundraising goals in a nonprofit organization
● Commitment to cultivating and maintaining authentic relationship-building within diverse communities
● Experience in community, staff, and volunteer engagement
● Self-motivated, independent worker with an interest in creative, out of the box thinking
● Experience in mentoring, training, and coaching employees
● Commitment to nurturing healthy working relationships and communication
● Optimistic and resourceful, with strong self-awareness
● Grounded and flexible with a high degree of integrity and transparency
Key Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Strong project management skills; organized, detail-oriented
● Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with a broad audience (visual communication skills are a plus)
● Strong knowledge of contact management/donor data management systems (i.e. Salesforce)
● Extensive knowledge of regional and local resources
● Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English preferred
● Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time)
Resource Development (65%)
● Lead the creation of fundraising vision and a strategic approach to achieve our sustainability goals and materialize SOMOS Mayfair vision of transformational change;
● Create and lead the execution of an annual plan for campaign initiatives that align with the agency’s mission, programmatic priorities, organizational gaps, and diversification opportunities;
● Engage with our Sí Se Puede Collective partners in the design and execution of funding activities on behalf of SOMOS;
● Manage annual special events including campaign kick-offs and campaign celebration;
● Identify, prioritize and articulate funding opportunities and provide ongoing support in aligning programmatic strategy with sustainability goals;
● Integrate and innovate with culturally relevant, grassroots fundraising strategies into our fundraising plan;
● Generate and interpret departmental reports and communications to internal and external stakeholders; these include revenue projections, tracking and reports; fundraising drives; trends; and prospecting results;
● Support crafting the organizational narrative for external communications;
● Lead the Director’s bench in developing key messaging and story-telling messaging and execution based on yearly goals and priorities;
● Project-manage the development of proposals and planning of site visits, as needed;
● Work with Co-Executive Directors and Director’s bench to cultivate relationships that may yield organizational and financial support from individuals and organizations;
● As needed, act as an ambassador for SOMOS with external partners and stakeholders.
Reporting & Evaluation (15%)
● Collaborate with the SSPC in Collective-wide evaluation and reporting activities for neighborhood-wide initiatives;
● Support the Director’s bench with streamlining an internal process for reporting and feedback loop to capture deliverables, contract obligations and departmental goals;
● Research learning opportunities, tools, approaches on evaluation on behalf of the organization; turning the transactional to transformational.
● Oversee the timely and accurate submission of reporting requirements;
● Lead the organization in the yearly evaluation activities
Internal Leadership (10%)
● Be a strategic, high level thought partner with co-Eds;
● Promote cross-collaboration across the 3 departments by streamlining sustainability efforts and communication;
● Oversee managerial-level staff and support their professional development as part of developing the leadership pipeline for SOMOS Mayfair;
● Serve as coach, mentor or thought leader to help staff achieve their yearly goals and contribute to the organization’s overall strategy;
● Develop a personal professional development plan to engage in direct learning and peer circles to further develop knowledge and skills in areas of responsibility;
External Leadership (5%)
● Represent SOMOS Mayfair at key meetings with allies and funders; attend conferences and convenings; and develop compelling materials, reports, and presentations about our work and impact, and that of our partners.
● Maintain and develop effective working relationships and collaborations with our Sí Se Puede Collective partners.
● Participate in staff retreats, strategic planning process, and somatic practices;
● Create and execute an annual work plan, that includes organizational strategies and milestone deadlines
● Execute a professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning, including community organizing models and the practice of popular education pedagogy;
● Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
● Contribute to the development of organizational world-view and development of strategic plan.
● Participate in SOMOS Mayfair staff meetings and training and support major organizational campaigns and projects.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume, via email at: jobs@somosmayfair[dot]org, with DRD Application on the subject line, or at our Main location: 1695 Alum Rock Ave, Suite 10, San Jose CA.
SOMOS Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, actual or perceived gender identity and gender expression, disability, genetic information, familial status or veteran status.
For more info contact us at (408) 460-2751 or learn about us at: WWW.SOMOSMAYFAIR.ORG