Texting Communications Manager
BVM is seeking a Texting Communications Manager who will expand the scope and scale of advanced peer-to-peer (P2P) and broadcast texting tactics to increase civic participation, including voter mobilization and issue organizing. The person in this position will help to expand BVM’s approach towards mobilizing voters and deepen supporters’ sense of identity and involvement with our work, via online engagement. This work supports BVM’s broader objective of advocating for racial justice and building power by centering Black love, Black culture and Black joy.
- Develop and manage implementation of P2P texting program in collaboration with state-based staff and community partners.
- Manage broadcast texting program (currently transitioning to Action Network), including opt in keywords, in collaboration with state-based staff and community partners.
- Develop texting scripts utilizing industry best practices and consistent with BVM messaging priorities.
- Coordinate with other staff in implementing other digital tools into the texting campaigns
- Coordinate with texting partners and vendors, including Action Network, Movement Cooperative, P2P platform (Hustle, Spoke, etc).
- Develop and implement relevant training opportunities for staff, community partners and volunteers.
- Supervise at least one staffing member assisting with texting communications
- Prepare regular reports to update leadership team and relevant staff about campaign progress
- Understand and apply data analytics to improve the effectiveness of the work
- At least 5 years experience in related to P2P and broadcast texting.
- Expertise with P2P texting platforms (Hustle, Spoke, etc)
- Expertise with broadcast texting (particularly Action Network, Twilio)
- Experience managing campaigns/projects in multiple states or locations.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative team environment; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and adapt quickly.
- Ability to work as part of a cross-departmental team.
- Commitment to racial justice, progressive causes and community organizing experience.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills and close attention to detail.
This position reports to: Deputy Communications Director
Travel Requirements: none
Salary & benefits: Starting at $65,000, depending on experience, plus unlimited PTO, and 100% employer contribution to individual medical, dental. vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, and $25,000 life insurance benefits.
Our goal is to increase power in marginalized, predominantly Black communities. We agree with the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. when he said, “Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.” We operate with the following 5 core beliefs:
- The key to effective civic engagement and community power is understanding, respecting and supporting local infrastructure.
- Black voters matter not only on election day, but on all 365 days of the year. This means we must support individuals and organizations that are striving to obtain social justice throughout the year.
- Black voters matter *everywhere*, including rural counties and smaller cities/towns that are often ignored by candidates, elected officials, political parties and the media.
- In order for Black voters to matter, we must utilize authentic messaging which speaks to our issues, connects with our hopes and affirms our humanity.
- The leadership, talent and commitment demonstrated by Black women in particular must receive recognition and, more importantly, *investment* in order to flourish and multiply.
This position also supports BVM Capacity Building Institute (BVM), an affiliated 501(c)(3) organization. While motivated by the same core values – power building, equity and justice – BVM and BVMF operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
BVM is an equal opportunity employer. BVM prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.