Historic Oakland Foundation (HOF) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 1976 as the “friends of” group for Oakland Cemetery. Our mission is to partner with the City of Atlanta to preserve, restore, enhance, and share Oakland Cemetery with the public as an important resource and an island of tranquility in the heart of the city. Oakland Cemetery is a garden oasis, historical repository, cultural resource, leader in restoration, and a southern cultural entity. In November 2021, HOF publicly announced the $12,500,000 Living History capital campaign to make the single-ever largest investment in historic Oakland Cemetery. Learn more at: www.oaklandcemetery.com
HOF is accepting applications for the role of Program Coordinator. This position provides support for HOF’s public tour program, signature special events, and volunteers. The Program Coordinator reports to the Director of Adult Programs and Volunteers. This is a full-time, hybrid remote and on-site position located in Atlanta, GA. The schedule for this position is Tuesday – Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. with some nights and weekends during special events and programs.
Role and Accountabilities:
- Assist the Director of Adult Programs and Volunteers in supporting and coordinating onsite logistics before, during, and after special events and programs including set-up, load-in, day of event, load-out, and clean-up; special events including but not limited to Illumine, Run Like Hell 5k, Sunday in the Park ft. Tunes from the Tunes, and Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween tours, including working with outside contractors and vendors and organizing staff and volunteer scheduling; Respond to guest questions and inquiries regarding Oakland’s programs and events with a customer-service mindset that embraces HOF’s core values; Create and administer event pages for programs, special events, and tours in Eventbrite, HOF’s ticketing platform; Support the day-to-day management of Historic Oakland Foundation’s tour program including scheduling tours and volunteer tour guides for the weekly overview and special topic tours, including: working with the Director of Marketing and Communications to promote and grow the tour program; Coordinating private tours; receiving and responding to inquiries, booking tours, and scheduling tour guides; Mastering Historic Oakland Foundation tours; this includes the ability the deliver tours in an informative and entertaining manner; Monitor effectiveness and growth of the Historic Oakland Foundation tour program through surveys and data;
- Help develop and administer interpretive training programs for volunteer guides, revising interpretive manuals as necessary, and planning and conducting the annual volunteer orientation with the Director of Adult Programs and Volunteers; Assist in managing and analyzing volunteer data in Salesforce, the membership and volunteer database; Occasionally support the Director of Education and Youth Programs in program coordination and implementation;
- Conduct all work through the lens of elevating diversity, equity, inclusion, and access (DEIA), and work proactively to help support the organization through a sustained period of organizational change whereby DEIA becomes the default lens through which all organizational attitudes and actions are conducted;
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends, as needed, to ensure the successful development and implementation of all Historic Oakland Foundation activities, signature special events, and programs.
Education and Experience:
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in history, event management, or related field required
- 1- 2 years working with a non-profit organization desired
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- Customer service mindset
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse group of professionals
- Demonstrated background of effective volunteer management skills
- Ability to work within a complex institution with all levels of leadership, staff, volunteers, members, and donors
- Flexible, works well under pressure and deadlines
- Curious, motivated, and willing to self-learn
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task
- Must be available to work additional evening and weekend hours at special events and programs
- Familiarity with MailChimp, Salesforce, and Eventbrite platforms
- Knowledge of Oakland’s history, events, etc.
The person in this position ascends/descends stairs to access office space and resources and may occasionally lift boxes and equipment up to 20 pounds.
Interested applicants should email their letters of interest and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to HOF at 404-658-6092.
This position is full-time. Salary is $35,000-45,000 annualized, commensurate with experience.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned, and requirements may vary from time to time.
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position. In accepting a position, it is understood that continued employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. A satisfactory background check is the absence of a criminal record that bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant/employee’s suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
Historic Oakland Foundation is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Historic Oakland Foundation is not currently accepting resumes from agencies for this position.