Nichols House is hiring a Development and Marketing Manager to assist our organization in creating meaningful and impactful engagement experiences for donors, volunteers, and community members.
Who We Are Nicholas House’s mission is to help families who are experiencing homelessness and support them through their crisis. Nicholas House helps families who are struggling to pay rent move into affordable homes, get themselves to work and their children off to school, and ultimately lift themselves up and out of poverty and toward a better life.
What You’ll Do
Donor Development Planning and Strategy: This manager will have primary responsibility for evaluating and nurturing our individual support base, soliciting and stewarding gifts from donors on the low to middle portion of the donor pyramid as well as major gifts, and driving board engagement in donor relations to grow our individual support base and unrestricted philanthropic revenue. This role will oversee, implement and manage systems for donor tracking and moves management – identifying and qualifying prospects, cultivating and soliciting gifts, creating acknowledgments and stewardship.
Communications: This manager will collaborate with the Director of Development to envision and implement an effective communications plan to support fund development and individual giving. They will work closely with the Communications Manager as a peer on content, messaging, and materials that support the individual gifts strategy and will actively look for exciting stories to tell and provide input on how we most effectively connect with audiences and share our impact.
Database Management & Donor Acknowledgement
- Maintain the integrity of donor information in the Bloomerang database; conduct general database review and cleanup to ensure data accuracy.
- Input all donations, into Bloomerang on a weekly basis.
- Produce weekly Development report for Executive Director and Director of Development.
- Write and produce timely acknowledgement letters for ED to use in recognizing all donations, memberships, and other contributions as appropriate.
- Update acknowledgement letter language on a regular basis to correspond with season, purpose of acknowledgement, relationship with donor, etc.
- Regularly reconcile all gifts with Finance Department.
Prospect Identification and Cultivation
- Assist with development of strategic plans for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors and foundations.
- Provide Executive Director and Director of Development with research and information from Bloomerang and other sources for use in cultivating and stewarding new and existing donors.
- Maintain forward Development calendar to track all steps involved with implementing individual donor plans. Work with the ED and DCC to ensure adherence to the annual Development Plan timeline.
- Regularly update the Development Plan as goals and strategies are established and met.
- Assist with planning of annual cultivation events.
- Coordinate food and beverage, guest list creation, invitation, RSVPs, etc.
Direct Mail, Email and Social Media Campaign Management
- In collaboration with the ED and Director of Development, coordinate planning and implementation of direct mail and e-mail fundraising appeals, events, newsletters, and other donor communications.
- Manage project timelines and work with other staff to ensure deliverables are met.
- Create mailing lists for donor communications via database queries that include audience segmentation and quality control execution.
- Craft regular constituent communication, including emails, social media(YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook), website updates, brochures, flyers, videos, and newsletters in conjunction with other staff
Who You Are & Keys to Success (the must-haves)
Nicholas House is seeking someone who is creative and grounded in solid understanding of fundraising principles. This person will know how to keep processes running smoothly while making room for constant improvement and innovation. They can roll with big ideas and manage fine details at the same time. They are a curious systems thinker and builder who also loves the high-touch personal engagement central to effective fundraising. A member of a small but mighty team, they are self-directed but not siloed.
To be successful in this job, you will excel in five areas:
- Relationship-building: You develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders to the organization, the Nicholas House Board of Directors, and Nicholas House staff. You come across as genuine and builds authentic relationships and follows through on commitments.
- Drive to achieve results: You have a track record of accomplishing ambitious goals and getting results even when there are obstacles. You set a high bar and meet it, because you think three (or 30) steps ahead to anticipate hurdles and come up with pragmatic solutions. You plan backwards and involve others appropriately. Holds a high bar even when things are hectic.
- Manages volume of work with efficiency: Has, or can create, a system for keeping tasks from slipping through the cracks. Able to juggle competing demands and prioritize without sacrificing quality. Plans backwards to make deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial and resourceful: Consistently overcomes challenges and leverages resources to creatively solve problems. Proposes solutions to issues without much guidance (but isn’t afraid to ask questions). Proactively asks for help, anticipates problems, and course-corrects where needed.
- Attention to detail: Notices and fixes errors that others might overlook. Acknowledges mistakes and turns them into learning opportunities. Has a track record of leaving things better than they found them.
If You Were Here Right Now, You Would Be:
- Work with the Director of Development on engagement strategies to convert volunteers into organization donors.
- Work with the Director of Development to implement spring communication plans for donors and volunteers.
- Close out all of the end-of-year in-kind donation programs, which is one of our busiest times of the year.
- Serving on the donor database conversion team and training to use the new database.
What Else You Should Know
- The position is full-time.
- The Development and Marketing Manager position is a hybrid position, with work in the office and work from home.
- The salary for this position ranges from $44K to $47K, with an exact salary depending on experience.
- We also offer excellent benefits such as health insurance where a percentage of the benefit is paid by Nicholas House and 50% match to a 403b on all contributed funds up to 6% of annual earnings with NHI.
- Other benefits include a cell phone stipend, paid vacation, holidays and personal days.
How to Apply Please send a cover letter and resume to Tanya Watkins, CFRE at development@nicholashouse[dotorg. No phone calls please.