Reports To: Senior Director, Marketing & Communications
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Region: United States
Location: US-based, Remote, with expected periodic travel to Cambridge, MA
Start Date: Immediate
Contact: Please apply by using our company site.
About Root Capital
Agriculture is the key to unlocking a better future for billions of people. But while rural families sustain the world, they struggle to sustain themselves. Root Capital is a nonprofit social impact investor that puts its money where others don't – in underserved agricultural businesses.
We provide financing and business training to agricultural enterprises in the "missing middle" - those that are too big for microloans but too small for commercial lenders. As these agricultural businesses succeed and scale, they become engines of impact that help farming families, communities, and economies to flourish.
Founded in 1999, we are the largest social investor in agricultural businesses. As both a lender and a nonprofit, our unique model allows us to go where other financiers don’t and support agricultural enterprises so they can succeed and grow. Our world-class team of experts identifies, partners with, and invests in exceptional agricultural entrepreneurs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Over 23 years, Root Capital has invested $1.7 billion in more than 750 agricultural enterprises, proving these under-served businesses are bankable and investable. We have shown that access to finance helps these enterprises succeed and fuels the economy. Root Capital’s investments and essential business and finance training have impacted 10 million farming families through job creation, financial security, and climate resiliency. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, we currently have offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ghana, and Kenya.
The Senior Digital Marketing Associate is a creative marketing professional who has broad experience engaging diverse audiences online. The Senior Associate will excel at creating multimedia content that engages and delights and is comfortable experimenting across channels to attract new supporters. With the ultimate goal of building brand awareness and donor revenue, they will work closely with the Development and Communications teams to create and deploy content marketing initiatives, including online fundraising campaigns. They will also work with our global team to write and amplify stories about Root Capital’s impact on access to finance, climate action, gender equity, and youth employment in rural communities.
This Senior Associate will be a super user of digital media and possess excellent communication skills in English (Spanish a plus but not required); writing and editing experience across diverse channels and mediums; graphic design skills, strong interpersonal skills; knowledge of digital communications and current marketing techniques; and a passion for growing prosperity in rural communities around the world. Candidates can be based anywhere in the US, with the option to work fully remotely or in our Cambridge, MA headquarters. We especially welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds and insights that make our communications more compelling to everyone.
Online donor marketing strategy development and implementation - 60%
- Collaborate with the Supporter Engagement team to implement an online marketing strategy to increase digital subscribers and online donors, using email, social media, Root Capital website, digital ads, and more.
- Through storytelling, video, and multimedia, create digital experiences that introduce Root Capital to new potential donors and keep existing donors inspired and engaged.
- Manage planning and implementation of online fundraising campaigns (creating landing pages for website, drafting solicitation emails, driving donor engagement on social media, etc.).
- Write, format, and distribute regular email communications to donor segments (monthly, mid-tier, lapsed donors, and more) and manage Mailchimp lists and workflows related to these segments.
- Respond to content requests from the Development team (e.g., developing donor collateral, formatting client stories, sending photos and other resources to donors, etc.).
Communications content strategy, development, and distribution - 30%
- Manage communications for all online channels.
- Contribute to high-level team planning around branding, editorial strategy, marketing, and communications. With team members, think creatively about how to engage, inspire, and educate all of Root Capital’s priority audiences.
- Pitch ideas for Root Capital’s editorial calendar, ensuring content reflects priority audiences and topics. Work with global staff to identify and source compelling new stories about our work.
- Write and edit original content, including blog posts, email newsletters, and more. As needed, ghostwrite content for staff members.
- Coordinate social media strategy and implementation across multiple platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram) for Root Capital.
- Stay abreast of emerging digital platforms and online best practices.
Administrative/team support - 10%
- Develop and maintain email lists and workflows, contact database management, and other departmental infrastructure for donor marketing and social media.
- Track and analyze metrics across digital platforms (website, email, social media), using this to inform strategy creation and adjustments.
- Engage and respond to incoming social media messages as part of our broader communications strategy.
- Help streamline systems and processes for the Marketing & Communications team, including maintaining photo and quotes databases and other departmental infrastructure.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of online engagement experience.
- Experience successfully creating, managing, and implementing marketing campaigns for diverse audiences (donor/nonprofit marketing experience highly desired).
- Stellar writing and editing skills across a broad range of content types (email, website, blog, social media).
- Demonstrated ability to use online communications, email marketing, and social media as tools for constituency engagement, brand awareness, and lead generation.
- Fluent in the coordination of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram), including posting content and analyzing results and trends.
- Competency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and work independently, while also enjoying collaboration with the team.
- Ability to travel (maximum once/year) to rural regions of developing countries where Root Capital operates. Ability to travel 2-5 times/year domestically for team retreats and conferences.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Desired Skills & Experience
- HTML and other web-based programming language skills
- SEO and SEM skills
- Experience with Root Capital’s current platforms: WordPress, MailChimp, Classy
- Experience with digital advertising (Google Ads management, Facebook Ads)
- Proficiency in Spanish (written and spoken)
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the our company site as soon as possible. Along with a thoughtful cover letter and resume showcasing how your skills and experience make you a good fit for this role, please provide 2 writing samples (e.g. blog post, email blast, social media account that you manage). Please also share your language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.