The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Graphic Designer to join their design team. This position will be in our headquarters office in Charlottesville, VA. This individual will be a part of the larger communications team, reporting to the Creative Director.
As a graphic designer at SELC, you will be an integral part of the communications team working to engage and educate about a full range of environmental issues—climate change, clean air and water, our public lands, coastal protections, and environmental justice. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
Your graphic design skills are needed for a broad array of products and executions to help advance the goals of the communications team and SELC as a whole. You will manage designs from concept to delivery, working closely with communications team members, development team members, writers, and attorneys across the organization. Your knowledge and experience adhering to a strict brand will ensure brand consistency with all creative including print collateral, digital executions, infographics, advertisements, and marketing materials. Having experience and/or interest in photography is a bonus because this position will be managing SELC’s image database, working directly with the creative director to refine and enhance the function of the database and perform photo research to fill gaps of image content.
You also have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with a genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. You think about how to infuse commitments to equity into projects throughout the creative process. You engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and embed equity and inclusiveness throughout SELC, in our work, and in our collaborative partnerships.
We are eager to welcome the next member to our 22-person communications team of strategists, designers, analysts, investigators, ambassadors, and innovators who work closely together to develop comprehensive communications strategies to help SELC meet its programmatic and organizational objectives. We tell the stories, paint the picture, make the information clear, and reach the right people to move the environmental needle.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model that offers employees the flexibility to work at home two days per week. We require all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
• Knowledge and experience implementing brand guidelines, ensuring brand consistency throughout all executions and across all channels.
• Create and manage graphic designs from concept to delivery; work closely with communications team member, writers, and/or attorneys to create high-quality designed products that are delivered on-time and accurately represent our existing brand templates.
• Establish new creative for website campaigns and produce all digital executions.
• Responsible for all new handout, fact sheet, and postcard production.
• Manage entire handout revision process; attend concept meetings and work with writers to ensure a high-quality product delivered on-time that fits within our existing templates.
• Create infographics as needed, collaborating with other communication team members when appropriate.
• Primary point person for the image database: upload images using metadata and description guidelines; continuously work to refine database and improve search experience.
• Partner closely with creative director to improve image library, perform photo research, and proactively look for gaps in our image content.
• Negotiate image use costs with photographers and process invoices as needed.
• Create all graphic executions for social media such as Weekly Digest.
• Provide officewide PowerPoint assistance by finding images and creating graphics as needed.
• Main point person for stationery, including maintaining inventory and placing monthly business card orders.
• Maintain knowledge of industry standards and trends.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field, or comparable experience.
• 3 to 5 years' experience as a graphic designer with both digital and print design.
• Portfolio demonstrating conceptual thinking and design skills.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite programs, particularly Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; prioritize, manage, and deliver several projects, often with competing deadlines.
• Close attention to detail; maintains consistency and quality in designed materials.
• Clear communicator and good listener who can take constructive feedback.
• Collegial, collaborative team player who enjoys learning together with your teammates and helping others to succeed in their work as well.
• A genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA, with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $50,000- $65,000 commensurate with experience. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and a link to your portfolio. The initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is February 9th, however, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.