Tacugama is looking for a dynamic and motivated coordinator to join its team!
About the Sanctuary
Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary was established in 1995 by the Government of Sierra Leone, through the help of conservationist Bala Amarasekaran and the Conservation Society of Sierra Leone to rescue, care for and rehabilitate confiscated pets and orphaned or abandoned wild chimpanzees. It plays a vital role in conserving and protecting chimpanzees in the wild through education, communication and legal enforcement. Everything we do starts with the chimps and transitions into wildlife conservation, research, environmental protection, advocacy, law enforcement, community preservation, and education and ecotourism development initiatives.
Tacugama runs eco-tourism activities such as sanctuary tours, hikes, eco-lodges and events to fundraise for the care of the resident chimpanzees and raise awareness of the critical state of the chimpanzees in Sierra Leone. Events are organized at Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary and in Freetown, and are very diverse (Yoga retreat, movie nights, kids activities, live music nights...). Tacugama also welcomes eco-volunteers who come to visit Sierra Leone and Tacugama, and who come for internships and research projects.
Tacugama is currently seeking a volunteer eco-tourism coordinator to support eco-tourism activities at Tacugama. The eco-tourism coordinator will directly report to the Operations Manager.
General eco-tourism coordination:
- General coordination of the eco-tourism team, including receptionists, cooks and tour guides. Follow lodge bookings and ensure preparation is done before guests arrive (room, meals, special requests…) Coordinate large group visits (schools, companies…) with the eco-tourism team and management. Prepare invoices and receipts when required. Ensure guests satisfaction and propose ideas to increase satisfaction.
- Maintain and develop current top fundraising events at Tacugama Propose ideas to create new events Contact the different suppliers / partners to plan the venue Promote the events by producing flyers and publishing them (Social Media, Whatsapp, email...) Supervise the event preparation including food, cleaning of facilities, set-up etc. During the event, ensure the smooth operations of the activities by supporting the team and provide assistance when needed. Produce a report of each event organized, including financial information.
Eco-volunteering program coordination:
- Receive eco-volunteer applications and organize the 1st interview meeting with the relevant manager. Take part in the interview process to assess if the candidate would be suitable for the job. Coordinate the preparation of arrival of the eco-volunteer by following-up the completion of requirements (documentation, medical tests, visa etc). Coordinate the arrival of the eco-volunteer at Tacugama: organize pick-up at the airport, be in touch with the eco-volunteer when landing, ensure room and food are available etc. Coordinate the eco-volunteer Onboarding process. Be the first point of contact for all eco-volunteers during their stay, answer their requests and liaise with relevant departments for smooth coordination. Report difficulties to the Operations Manager. Follow-up eco-volunteers activities and satisfaction during their stay and propose solutions to increase satisfaction. Ensure cohesion of the eco-volunteers on site and propose team building activities. Promote the eco-volunteer program in partnered organizations and universities. Propose ideas to boost the eco-volunteer program in accordance with Tacugama’s needs and expectations.
Professional and personal Qualifications
- Strong motivation and dynamism
- Excellent communication skills, ability to collaborate and bring people together
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to be adaptive
- Fluent in English (verbal & written)
- Computer literacy, including Excel
- Willingness to work long and flexible hours when needed
- Patience and a willingness to work with different cultural values
- University degree in management, logistics, hospitality or tourism management or related subjects would be an asset
- Experience living and working in Western Africa would be an asset