LaAmistad is looking for a capable, confident professional reading specialist to join our programming team. This position will report to the Academic Director.
Our Mission is to prepare Latino students and families for success through academic and life enrichment programs.
Our Vision that Latino students and families achieve life-long self-sufficiency.
Our Core Values:
Kindness: “Having the ability to speak with love, listen with patience and act with compassion.
Excellence: "Every touch, every time, no exceptions."
Passion: "You can't fake passion."
Team Work: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"
Perseverance: “Grit, the raw endurance, hard work and passion that keeps you going despite obstacles.”
- Assist teachers in recognizing and responding to the multiple needs of the diverse learners in LaAmistad Afterschool.
- Assist teachers in utilizing a variety of on-going, research-based assessment approaches to inform and differentiate instruction.
- Research, teach, and model best practices used to address the needs of those students who struggle with reading and writing.
- Assist with implementing a balanced approach of direct teaching using authentic reading and writing opportunities.
- Work with Academic Director, teachers and administrators to develop and implement appropriate literacy strategies, implementation plans, and assessment tools.
- Assist with program-wide literacy initiatives.
- Provide constructive feedback to teachers in their approach and instruction in reading and writing.
- Demonstrate instructional leadership and professionalism.
- Effectively communicate accurate and up-to-date information to teachers and students in a way that enhances student learning.
- Manage time and resources appropriately.
- Create a positive atmosphere that promotes cooperation with administration, parents, coworkers, and students.
- Demonstrate concern for students’ and teachers’ well-being.
- Embrace and encourage the acceptance of diversity.
- Maintain familiarity with current educational issues.
- Use current technology for instruction and management purposes.
- Be available to consult with parents, students, administration, and peers outside instruction times, as needed.
- Analyze data to target instruction, enhance student learning and inform teacher practice.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Education preferred
- Exhibit theoretical and research-based knowledge of language acquisition and child development through middle childhood.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience
- Possess or qualify for a Georgia License
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as determined appropriate and acceptable by Executive Director
Preferred hours are 2:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
Location: Peachtree Church
3434 Roswell Road, Atlanta, GA 30319
Sponsorship is not available for this position.