Job Title: Digital Inclusion Specialist (LISC AmeriCorps)
Programs: Refugee & Immigrant Services, Digital Inclusion
Reports To: Senior Economic Empowerment Coach
Position Type: AmeriCorps Member, Full Time, 11 Month Commitment
Inspiritus Refugee & Immigrant Services (RIS) Department works to build welcoming communities for refugees and immigrants and accompanies newcomers on a path from surviving to thriving. The Digital Inclusion Specialist (LISC AmeriCorps), under the supervision of the Senior Economic Empowerment Coach, will play a vital role in developing and implementing strategies to promote digital inclusion among Inspiritus clients. They will be developing an employment digital inclusion curriculum tailored to the organizations served populations. This curriculum will be delivered by the Digital Inclusion Specialist to all newly arrived refugees during required Cultural Orientation as well as to a small cohort of clients on a monthly basis. In addition to group instruction, the Digital Inclusion Specialist will also serve as a 1:1 coach providing individual, needs-based digital literacy coaching centered around employment. As a complement to both individual and group coaching, the Digital Inclusion Specialist will be responsible for walk-in computer lab hours and the IT lending library.
- Develop and implement strategies to mitigate employment barriers resulting from lack of access to or existing knowledge of technology
- Research and collect resources to promote digital literacy
- Develop and deliver an employment digital inclusion curriculum
- Serve as a 1:1 coach providing individual, needs based digital literacy coaching
- Manage walk-in computer lab hours on a weekly basis
- Update and track goal outputs/outcomes with accuracy and timeliness
- Coordinate program activities with related activities within the department and in other departments to ensure efficiency and economy
- Comply with all Inspiritus COVID-19 safety policies
- Attend meetings as required
- Maintain personal and professional boundaries in the performance of the job
- Forge mutually respectful partnerships with clients, co-workers, and referral sources
- Conform with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions
- Comply with the various federal, state or local laws that apply to and regulate their job duties
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet program needs
In performing these activities the person in this position will achieve the following goal:
- Provide 70 clients with employment/ job training skills where 40 clients will secure employment or secure better employment as a result of the aforementioned activities
- Leadership Teamwork & Collaboration
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Cultural Competence
- Demonstrate Ethical & Professional Behavior
- Advance Human Rights and Social and Economic Justice
- Stress Tolerance
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Partnership & Relationship Management
While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee travels by personal motor vehicle and is exposed to changing weather conditions. May perform job functions at out-posted locations as assigned.
Regularly required to talk and hear in person and on the telephone. Required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls: and reach with hands and arms to operate computer and other office equipment. Required to operate a personal vehicle. Employee frequently lifts and or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch. It is expected that the person will be flexible as oftentimes service requires some evenings and weekends.
Up to 50%
Required Education and Experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Experience and/or interest in working in a culturally diverse environment Conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change Ability to set limits and maintain the helping role of the practitioner Excellent computer skills, accurate typing, and knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook Must have the ability to communicate with all persons in a culturally competent manner Must be sensitive to the service populations cultural and socioeconomic characteristics Ability to work collaboratively with a team
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in IT, business, social science, or social work field.
- Experience working with a diverse staff and/or volunteers Familiarity with major Atlanta employers, public transportation, and neighborhoods Experience with human services programs Reads, writes, and speaks a relevant foreign language
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
To be eligible to participate as a LISC AmeriCorps member the candidate: (1) must not have previously resigned from a LISC AmeriCorps position; (2) be able to earn at least 75% of the education award for this position; and (3) if having previously served, been exited with satisfactory service from a prior term.
The candidate will also need to meet all AmeriCorps eligibility requirements including but not limited to:
• Be at least 17 years of age (there is no upper age limit)
• Possess unexpired proof of status as a US citizen or possess unexpired permanent resident status and be able to provide documentation as determined by AmeriCorps during the pre-enrollment period
• Meet the National Service Criminal History Check Requirement
Members are required to track time and submit on-line timesheets twice per month. They are also required to submit a monthly report through the same system (training will be provided). The person selected for this position will perform his/her/their day to day service at the partner site and serve on average 40 hours per week. Normal service hours are Monday Friday from 9:00 am 5:00 pm with 30 minutes for lunch per day. It is expected that the person will be flexible as oftentimes service requires some evenings and weekends.
Members are expected to attend and participate in all LISC AmeriCorps sponsored activities including but not limited to:
• Attending a local onboarding session coordinated by LISC;
• Attending a national leadership conference;
• Attending all locally sponsored monthly meetings;
• Participating in nationally sponsored webinars;
• Actively participating in at least two team coordinated service projects (one for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and one for National AmeriCorps Week); and,
• Engaging in any other LISC events as determined by the local LISC office.
Program Benefits: Upon successful completion of the full term of service, the member will be eligible for a $6,495 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school. Members are eligible to place qualifying, existing student loans (not in default) into AmeriCorps forbearance. The position pays a total stipend of $21,000. The stipend is taxable and paid in 22 equal checks twice a month from LISC. Direct deposit is required. A health care benefit is available for the participant only. For members with children under the age of 13, there is a child care subsidy benefit available which is dependent on the participant meeting all eligibility requirements (This benefit is administered by a contracted provider via the Corporation for National and Community Service).
Additional benefits for alums can be found here: https://www.nationalservice.gov/specialinitiatives/employers-national-service/alumni and information on Public Service Loan Forgiveness can be found here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
LISC AmeriCorps is available to everyone eligible to serve. We treat all persons without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.