As a residential Property Manager, you are a crucial member of the Charter Oak Communities (COC) team. You are the face of COC for residents, employees, and our agency partners. You will lead a team of colleagues in meeting established performance goals for your portfolio of properties while furthering their ongoing professional development, along with your own. COC’s primary goals for our communities are to ensure their highest quality physical condition while delivering sustainable financial results in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. We also seek to optimize residents' quality of life by providing social services, age-appropriate programming, and self-sufficiency opportunities.
You will report to the Director of Operations, who, in turn, reports to the Executive Director. COC’s goal is to ensure that every team member has the support necessary to perform at their full potential and is afforded the opportunity for continuous growth and advancement. Being a property manager at COC can be rewarding in many ways: making a lasting difference in residents’ lives by providing high-quality housing they can afford along with services they value; having input into policy and program development; guiding the efficient operation of attractive, well-maintained communities; growing through professional development opportunities; maintaining a work-life balance; and enjoying an attractive compensation package.
• This job is a full-time position, Monday – Friday
• After six (6) months of successful employment, this role will be eligible for a hybrid schedule (4 days office/1 day remote) or ‘flex time.’
• Competitive salary that is comparable to private market companies
• Generous paid time off (12 holidays, 12 vacation days, 9 sick days, and 5.5 personal days annually; after that 1 additional vacation day annually, not to exceed 25 days)
• Company paid short- & long-term disability and life insurance
• Family-like work culture and active engagement - awarded a Top Workplace for 2022
• Defined Benefit Pension (company pays 17.55%, and the employee pays 4.25% of salary)
• Wellness activities and team-building experiences
• Commitment to ongoing learning, development, and professional advancement
Your Job Responsibilities
• Leads, coaches, trains, and mentors a team of between two to four direct reports and ensures that they meet established performance objectives
• Identifies training opportunities and areas of opportunity for professional development
• Manages the assigned properties’ social services agency partnerships, if any, recreational activities, and other non-shelter services for residents
• Manages resident relations and requests, including conflict resolution, while maintaining a strong sense of community
• Manages the entire occupancy cycle, including timely turnover of vacancies and applicable waiting lists
• Assists with developing, planning, implementing and maintaining property operating budgets to control their overall financial performance
• Ensures and maintains adherence to local, state, and federal regulations, and applicable policies
• Educates residents and, when necessary, actively enforces all elements of the lease agreement while managing lease renewal practices according to applicable guidelines, inclusive of the eligibility, certification, and verification processes
• Creates an engaging, inclusive, diverse culture of growth & learning for the property management team
• May be required to perform other related duties as required and assigned
Who You Are
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations, typical daily property management operations, and the principles, policies, and procedures of public housing administration
• Ability to effectively manage overall property operations and perform related supervisory, administrative, and management responsibilities
• Outstanding ability to follow, carry out, and enforce oral and written instructions, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Proven ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with employees, customers, vendors, and tenants
• Ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, and meet multiple deadlines
• Ability to preserve and respect resident/applicant confidentiality
• Strong organizational and supervisory skills
• Solid financial acumen and analytical skills
• Can work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable, team environment
• Knowledge of automated property management and database software
Mandatory Education/Experience Requirements
• A High School Diploma, with a minimum of five (5) years of hands-on property management experience and three (3) years of supervisory experience, is mandatory.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
• In addition, within six (6) months of assuming the role, the ability to obtain Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) certifications
• An exam may be administered to assess your Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook competency level in accordance with position description criteria.
• A current driver’s license and the ability to maintain a current license.
• Successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug screening, reference check, and educational and background check.
• Charter Oak Communities mandates that employees maintain current COVID-19 vaccinations. Religious or medical exemption requests may be submitted and considered after a contingent offer letter is extended.
Equal Opportunities Statement
COC is deeply committed to sustaining a workplace and global community where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neurodiversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Who we are - Our Mission
Charter Oak Communities (COC) mission is to bring about social benefit through innovation to create a healthier and stronger Stamford. Charter Oak Communities begins by helping families and individuals live comfortably in safe, attractive, and cohesive neighborhoods. It moves further by striving to develop, test, and institutionalize creative approaches to social well-being that unlock full human potential. Innovations aim to raise the accessibility and effectiveness of education, social services, health care, employment, and environmental livability, among other core goals.