The Geological Society of America seeks to hire a Digital Marketing Manager
The Geological Society of America is looking for a Digital Marketing Manager to join our Team!
The Geological Society of America (GSA) (https://www.geosociety.org) unites a diverse community of geoscientists with a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet (and beyond) and share scientific findings. Members and friends around the world, from academia, government, and industry, participate in GSA meetings, publications, and programs at all career levels, to foster professional excellence. GSA values and supports inclusion through cooperative research, public dialogue on earth issues, science education, and the application of geoscience in the service of humankind.
GSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and GSA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business organization and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in our organizational policies, and the way we do business at GSA, and is an important principle of sound business management. Please see GSA’s Commitment to Diversity.
As an advocate of GSA, the Digital Marketing Manager’s primary responsibility is to promote the Society’s brand, mission, members, products, and services to internal and external stakeholders, interested parties and the public by developing, implementing, and advancing GSA’s marketing strategy according to the organization’s strategic plan. A natural storyteller with an ability to quickly translate marketing performance data into actionable recommendations, the Digital Marketing Manager has an excellent understanding of marketing, communications, and public relations strategy; contributes to the development and implementation of GSA’s digital and traditional marketing programs; identifies and evaluates new digital technologies; and uses web analytics tools to optimize marketing campaigns, email marketing, social media, and display and search advertising.
Focusing on key social media platforms, email marketing, and web applications, the Digital Marketing Manager will play a major role in developing and enhancing brand awareness, promoting a positive brand image, generating inbound web traffic, acquiring leads and customers, encouraging program participation, and providing service to GSA members and the geoscience community. Displaying a superior ability to build and maintain positive relationships, this role will interact with GSA program Directors and community stakeholders to create, coordinate, disseminate, and respond to content, and measure, report on, and translate marketing performance data into actionable recommendations as part of a long-term strategy.
• Set specific objectives and key performance indicators, measure, and report on the impacts of GSA’s marketing programs: establish benchmarks, monitor engagement, and analyze campaign effectiveness to maximize results and help determine long-term strategy.
• Conduct GSA’s social media program by planning, creating, organizing, distributing, and archiving relevant content; ensuring appropriate frequency and consistent messaging across channels.
• Monitor the social media landscape, track GSA mentions, engage with key influencers, listen for competitive intelligence—maximize opportunities for promoting positive brand image.
• Regularly provide insights gained from social media monitoring to the MarCom team and program Directors, to help evolve strategies in a timely fashion.
• Create an engaging copy to run successful marketing campaigns.
• Collaborate with other departments to ensure content is informative and appealing and assist in suggesting and executing content innovations.
• Use web analytics tools to measure site traffic to better optimize marketing campaigns, email marketing, social media, and display and search advertising.
• Help grow and maintain a data-driven culture across the Marketing and Communications team.
• Manage and moderate the online GSA Member Community to better understand member interests and needs; work with various GSA constituencies to launch communities and/or websites.
• Research and monitor emerging media tools and applications.
• Assist with various marketing or communications projects (webinars, marketing collateral, workshops, presentations, staff and/or leadership trainings, press releases, audits, surveys, talking points, memoranda, public events, etc.) as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism required. Advanced degree preferred. Knowledge of or interest in the sciences, and experience communicating with scientists a plus.
• Two to five years of professional experience in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field, to include professional experience using and managing social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube and/or similar platforms) in a corporate or nonprofit context to support organizational goals, including driving audience engagement.
• Effective written and oral communicator, with excellent presentation, copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Ability to identify and build content for target audience preferences.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills, with solid experience in conducting and interpreting quantitative and qualitative research, obtaining and analyzing data from traditional and digital marketing channels, and translating data analysis into business and marketing optimization recommendations.
• Detail-oriented with solid organizational and planning skills; ability to multi-task and function well under occasional time-pressures.
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team; self-motivated with a positive, professional approach.
• Mature judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
• Highly proficient in the use of personal computers and applications, including CMS, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Applications, Google Workspace (or similar), file sharing software, project management software, and virtual meeting software; comfortable learning new software and systems.
• Understanding of SEO and experience in web analytics/tracking technologies, including creating reports using Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
• Email marketing experience, familiarity with HTML, and/or video editing skills are a plus.
The position is full-time. GSA Headquarters is located in Boulder, Colorado. For the right candidate, this position may be conducted remotely. The salary range is $65,000 – $90,000 based on experience. GSA provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, life insurance, retirement, and opportunities for professional development.
If you are interested in this position, please go to the GSA Careers Portal to apply, review the complete job description and submit a resume along with a detailed cover letter regarding your fit and experience for this position. This position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply immediately. The deadline for submission is Monday, January 30, 2023, at 5:00 pm.
Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.