Director, Learning & Development
The Georgia Center for Nonprofits’ mission is to build thriving communities by helping nonprofit succeed. Our incredible team is devoted to expanding the impact that the nonprofit sector makes on communities and important causes by strengthening organizations, nonprofit professionals, and the nonprofit sector. Every day, we invest in the people and organizations that embody this commitment – transforming Georgia’s communities together through a shared vision of our state’s future. With over 1200 organizational members, and programs reaching over 5000 organizations annually, as well as national initiatives like WorkforGood.org that serve thousands more, GCN is the largest and most comprehensive center for nonprofit capacity building in the Southeast.
The Georgia Center for Nonprofits seeks a Learning and Development Director who can provide collaborative leadership to promote innovative, engaging, and equitable learning experiences for participants in our Nonprofit University - the Southeast’s most comprehensive center for professional development and leadership targeting nonprofit professionals. The Director will provide vision and leadership for the Nonprofit University’s strategy for creating comprehensive professional development and leadership programming. The Director will bring expertise in live streaming, on-demand, and classroom-based instruction methodologies. Demonstrated experience with educational technology, and project management platforms to support faculty, and departments in the development and enhancement of online programs and courses is required. In addition, the NU Director must ensure alignment of learning (both delivery and resources) with NU business plans and strategies, and with nonprofit organizational needs by integrating adult learning principles with desired nonprofit business outcomes. It is the Director’s responsibility to achieve continued improvement of the overall quality of learning and development investments and training experiences across the organization and among NU customers.
- Provide overall direction, strategic initiatives and guidance relating to the Nonprofit University’s management and programming.
- Develop and implement all aspects of the organization's training programs, policies, training techniques and objectives to develop and maintain an effective nonprofit workforce
- Coordinate with subject matter experts and current faculty to create programs that can be implemented nationwide; manage faculty recruitment, preparation and evaluation
- Establish the curriculum and training cycle for a comprehensive professional development program for nonprofit employees. executives and boards.
- Build strong relationships with nonprofit decisionmakers and agency leads managing employee training.
- Maintain/establish system to monitor participant engagement and evaluate post-programmatic success
- Evaluate impact of training to support programmatic development and future opportunities for expansion or improvement; Evaluate all current training material and develop improvement plans
- Analyze business information (financial information, market information, staffing, management practices, etc.) and advise and consult with the GCN management team to drive improvement
- Working with the marketing team, develop plan to attract participation and promote interest for NU program participants
Required Qualifications & Experience
Degree in Human Resources, Education, Instructional Design, Business or similar with a strong preference for a master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years direct L&D leadership experience.
- Senior leadership or departmental leadership experience in an L&D role
- Five or more years job-related experience (adult learning, executive education, employee training, employee performance assessment and evaluations, retention initiatives performance management system and tools, online/distance learning).
- Advanced skill in the use of LMS systems; Communication platforms such as Teams, Zoom, Slack; and data base applications such as Sales Force; the Microsoft office suite; and project management platforms such as Monday.
- Experience with or in the nonprofit sector is a strong preference.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Deep knowledge of and demonstrated experience implementing L&D strategy including curriculum development, competency assessments, gaps analysis, adult learning theory, diversified delivery/blended learning platforms, and evaluation techniques for learning interventions, preferably in a large enterprise setting or in an association serving a broad constituency.
- Demonstrated leadership of or experience in nonprofit or corporate business training division serving multiple stakeholders over a broad geography.
- Experience with performance consulting and/or developing and selling proposals for consulting or contract training services
- Demonstrated experience developing strategy and business planning efforts, excellent track record of process improvement and plan execution.
- Proficiency in the use of technology platforms used in synchronous and asynchronous training delivery, particularly live multi-site delivery, as well as LMS systems, CRM systems (Salesforce),and project management platforms (Monday, Basecamp) .
- Has strong leadership and experience in managing a department including: budget responsibility; establishing, monitoring and reporting on goals and objectives; managing staff and contractor performance; managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Capability to independently design, develop and facilitate training programs and learning events offered within the division.
- Effective communication skills - both verbally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
- Skill and ability in meeting and dealing tactfully and effectively with other employees, public and private officials, community groups and members of the general public
Work Location & Style
GCN’s primary location is 881 Memorial Dr. Atlanta, GA directly on the Beltline, and adjacent to public transportation and major highways. GCN has a hybrid work environment.
$70,000+ dependent on experience
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday / Hybrid work environment.
GCN is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we do not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.