Vice President of Electoral Strategy
Quality Schools Coalition
Remote Position (Kansas City, Missouri)
Quality Schools Coalition is a 501(c)4 organization founded on the belief that schools serve students and families most effectively when they have autonomy to make decisions locally, are held accountable to high expectations for student growth and achievement, have adequate resources to meet these high expectations, and exist within a school system with multiple high-quality school options available to all families. Our mission is to improve education in Missouri by advocating for a policy environment in which public schools flourish, and our vision is for every student in Missouri to have access to a high-quality public education.
The Vice President of Electoral Strategy will work to identify, assess, and promote quality candidates for the Missouri State Legislature who support the Quality Schools Coalition education reform priorities. The VP of Electoral Strategy will be charged with setting and executing a strategy that identifies opportunities for these candidates to run for office in Missouri. This work entails identifying and supporting promising candidates. The VP of Electoral Strategy will also be responsible for designing and implementing the organization's electoral strategy and managing the allocation of its election campaign budget. To be successful in this role, the VP of Electoral Strategy must be able to work in a bipartisan manner with both Republicans and Democrats. The ideal candidate for this position will possess keen political instincts and have experience working in state politics and/or on political campaigns.
- Identify districts with open seats or situations where candidates supported by the Quality Schools Coalition can be successful
- Identify individuals with the potential to be strong candidates for the Missouri State Legislature
- Conduct due diligence on potential candidates in order to assess their electoral viability
- Work closely with political and campaign consultants to help candidates prepare for the campaign and help work on campaign strategy
- Help candidates network and connect to key stakeholders and institutions
- Build and maintain a political network within Missouri that supports education reform
- Cultivate a network of political consultants and campaign managers friendly to education reform policies and candidates who support education reform
- Manage a statewide campaign strategy and strategically allocate campaign funds
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Ability to develop and implement a statewide electoral strategy
- Experience working on political campaigns or working for elected officials
- Experience working with political consultants
- Exemplary organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a bipartisan manner with candidates of varying political ideology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including public speaking)
- Agility in effective decision-making and ability to coach and develop others while serving in a senior leadership role.
- 10 years of experience in public education administration or policy making, or other comparable experiences.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a senior level management position
- Master's Degree in education, public administration, public policy, or other comparable degree preferred.
The salary range for this position is $125,000 - $135,000. Quality Schools Coalition is proud to offer a growth-oriented environment with competitive compensation and benefits program. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement program (with a 5% employer match), and 20 days of PTO.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Quality Schools Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, predisposing genetic characteristics, unemployment status or veteran’s status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
The search for the VP of Electoral Strategy is being conducted by The Moran Company. Questions about the position can be directed to Mike English, The Moran Company; mike (at) morancompany.com.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Mike English, The Moran Company, via the secure online portal. Resume should include all professional education and experience, dates of employment (month and year) and position/title and organization names. Cover letter should articulate relevant experience and fit with the stated preferences of the position.