Vice President of Advocacy
Quality Schools Coalition
Jefferson City, Missouri
Quality Schools Coalition is a 501(c)4 organization founded on the belief that schools serve students and families most effectively when they have autonomy to make decisions locally, are held accountable to high expectations for student growth and achievement, have adequate resources to meet these high expectations, and exist within a school system with multiple high-quality school options available to all families. Our mission is to improve education in Missouri by advocating for a policy environment in which public schools flourish, and our vision is for every student in Missouri to have access to a high-quality public education.
The Vice President of Advocacy will work to advocate for a state policy environment in which public schools flourish. Reporting to the CEO, the VP of Advocacy will represent the organization in dealings with legislators, state agencies, and key organizational stakeholders. Working closely with senior staff, the VP of Advocacy will be responsible for implementing the Quality Schools Coalition legislative and regulatory strategy. This position will be stationed in or near Jefferson City, with the expectation that a satellite office will be opened there.
- Implement the Quality Schools Coalition legislative agenda in order to improve the state’s policy environment for public education
- Develop bipartisan working relationships with legislators other elected officials
- Lead the organization’s coalition building efforts, cultivating strong collaborative relationships with civic organizations, education reform organizations, and parent groups
- Cultivate strong working relationships with the State Board of Education (SBOE), the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and other officials who are making an impact within the public education sector in Missouri
- Provide direction to the organization’s Governmental Affairs Consultant and communicate activities and progress to the Quality Schools Coalition senior leadership team
- Participate in a variety of commissions and task forces associated with DESE, SBOE and other education oriented organizations and assist in the recruitment of new participants for each group
- Regularly attend State Board of Education meetings and various meetings that directly impact Missouri’s public education system, acting as a reputable representative of Quality Schools Coalition
- Work closely with charter schools and school districts to find common ground and advocate for policies that strengthen public education
- Advocate and promote educational initiatives through speaking engagements, presentations to civic, professional, social groups and at various community events
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Ability to build a statewide advocacy voice in order to influence policy and regulatory decisions amongst elected officials, SBOE and DESE
- Demonstrated ability to persuade individuals and organizations to advocate for a cause
- Agility in effective decision-making and ability to coach and develop others while serving in a senior leadership role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including public speaking)
- 10 years of experience in public education, policy making, advocacy, or other comparable experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a senior level management position, preferably in an education, nonprofit or government setting
- Advocacy or public policy experience preferred
The annual salary range for this position is $125,000 - $135,000. Quality Schools Coalition is proud to offer a growth-oriented environment with competitive compensation and benefits program. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement program (with a 5% employer match), and 20 days of PTO.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Quality Schools Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, predisposing genetic characteristics, unemployment status or veteran’s status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
The search for the VP of Advocacy is being conducted by The Moran Company. Questions about the position can be directed to Mike English, The Moran Company; mike (at) morancompany.com.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Mike English, The Moran Company, via the secure online portal. Resume should include all professional education and experience, dates of employment (month and year) and position/title and organization names. Cover letter should articulate relevant experience and fit with the stated preferences of the position.