L.E.A.D is on a mission to empower Black boys to overcome crime, poverty and racism through the sport of baseball. Our model is to:
LAUNCH student athletes towards educational opportunities after converting raw talent into the skills required for entry into college athletic programs.
EXPOSE teens to service and local enrichment activities in order to instill a sense of responsibility, belonging and investment; key requirements for building a civically engaged individual.
ADVISE players, coaches and parents on the process of effectively supporting dreams of playing baseball on the college level in addition to other post-secondary pathway guidance.
And DIRECT young men towards their promise by using the historical journey of past African American legends as the road map.
Our vision is to develop Black boys into Ambassadors who will lead their City of Atlanta to lead the world. To learn more about our programs and impact visit our website.
About the Program Coordinator Role
We are seeking a Program Coordinator to help run the day to day operations of our three main programs: The Jr. Ambassadors, The Legacy League and The Ambassadors. As a growing organization, you will be responsible for maintaining ongoing program excellence as well as working with our Director of Programs to better serve our youth as we grow as an organization.
You will work directly with our student athletes, our volunteers, and our small but growing staff. As the person on the team who will keep the wheels spinning on all of our youth programs, you will sometimes be expected to be present at weekday programming, some weekend programming, and all special events.
The right person for this role believes deeply in our mission, is ready for significant program management responsibility, and can’t wait to roll up their sleeves and help us grow our organization.
- Structured & systematic operator - you’re an expert at knowing your own systems and how you work best! Your organizational skills and detail orientation are your strengths that allow you to fit a wide variety of different tasks in your day to day.
- Resourceful problem solver - even with the best laid plans, you know that life throws curveballs! You don’t sweat it when the unexpected comes up, and you know how to create a thoughtful plan of action when the situation calls for it.
- ‘Do what it takes’ attitude - you are naturally driven and goal oriented. When the situation calls for you to roll up your sleeves, you don’t hesitate to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Excellent judgement - throughout your day to day, you may be asked to make many critical decisions. Using your strong analytical skills, you are excellent at knowing when to make a call, and when to ask for help. When you have access to confidential information, you handle that knowledge thoughtfully and responsibly.
- Lifelong learner - You feel that there is always room to learn from those around you. Your curiosity, listening skills, and approach to feedback are the key tools that enable you to grow.
- Under the guidance of our Director of Programs, maintain rigor, quality, and ultimately, positive outcomes for our youth
- Coordinate and take the lead on managing program logistics such as scheduling, facilities and transportation, vendor management, and volunteer coordination
- Build strong relationships with student athletes, their parents, our partners at Atlanta Public Schools, and other program participants
- Assist the Director of Programs on program evaluation, measurement, reporting, and deliverables for our board and donors as assigned
- Help document processes and procedures for program operations. Over time, you may be responsible for training new staff to these processes
- Manage various projects or initiatives as assigned by the Director of Programs to help build program success. These projects may include but are not limited to:
- Fundraising and development
- Program measurement tools and systems
- Developing training and curriculum
- Building relationships with our local partners
- Operations, organization, and/or logistics
- Serve as a representative and role model of L.E.A.D.’s mission, vision and values
Background & Skills
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Basic understanding of racial inequality and its generational effects on Black youth
- Ability to advocate for Black youth from marginalized communities in a respectful, empowering and uplifting way
- Experience working with youth and in youth programming
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred - ideally in Organizational Development, Education, Social Work, or a related field
- At least 1 year of sports coaching experience
- Experience with program evaluation, outcomes measurements, and results-based accountability
- Exceptional writing, speaking, and computer skills for crafting communications with a wide number of audiences, including but not limited to senior staff, program partners, program participants, and funders
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience at a nonprofit organization, including at least 1 year in a program management role where you were accountable for delivering program outcomes
- Ample experience managing program logistics, including vendor and volunteer management
- Proficiency using Excel and the ability to learn and utilize cloud-based tools to track program metrics (such as attendance, grade averages, student rosters, etc.)
While not required to apply, let us know if you have the following experience:
- Grants management experience
- Specific experience in sports-based youth development
- Program design or extensive program management experience
How to apply
If our mission resonates with you, please send your resume and response to the short answers below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify "Program Coordinator" in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at LEAD?
- Why does our mission resonate with you?
- Share your sports experience relative to playing and coaching. This is a foundational part to this role.
- Include your LinkedIn url.
L.E.A.D is seeking candidates based in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area with the ability to travel to different job locations and facilities in the metro area throughout the week.