Who we are:
For over 30 years, CSH has changed the lives of people who have been marginalized and are our most vulnerable neighbors by:
- Helping communities create over 335,000 homes for individuals and families who did not have one;
- Bringing hope to thousands who thought they would live on the streets or reside in institutions; and
- Ensuring not only a stable home for each, but access to the services that brought healthcare, recovery, and training to their doorsteps.
CSH has proven supportive housing can change the lives of individuals, families, and communities. We have created a team of nationally recognized experts who are dedicated to our organization and its goals. We attract talented and diverse individuals, offer competitive salaries and benefits, generous leave and paid time off, and fully embrace the philosophy that work-life balance is achievable. With the goal of attracting proven candidates committed to making a difference and who aspire to advance our mission, CSH is now accepting applications for a Human Resources Director.
Why we need you:
CSH is seeking results-oriented individuals committed to racial equity, advancing anti-racism practices, and sharing their talent to support a mission-driven organization that leads efforts to expand housing and service solutions for highly impacted populations. This position will be offered a hybrid at-home/at-office option based out of our New York City headquarters.
What you will do:
The HR Director is a strategic and hands-on leader committed to the support for and success of all CSH staff. You are a key partner to all CSH departments and you plan, lead, direct, develop, and coordinate our talent, benefit, compliance, administrative, and related human resource activities, while contributing significantly to our equity, strategy, and organizational mission. Specifically, you will:
- Supervise, support, coach, develop, and manage the performance of the human resources team - currently comprised of three FTEs, in addition to the HR Director.
- Provide an overall vision and implementation of CSH’s talent and workforce management strategies and initiatives, including all aspects of CSH’s recruiting, retention, and development of our high-performing workforce.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, and implement policies, processes, surveys, trainings, and other tools to support our human resources compliance and strategy needs.
- Provide thought leadership and engagement in efforts related to advancing anti-racist practices, advancing equity, pursuing cross-department initiatives, strengthening internal operations, and ensuring CSH remains an employer of choice for current and future employees.
- Designing benefit programs and policies that support CSH’s commitment to work/life balance, high performance, and offering the best benefits CSH can afford.
Implementation and Functional Areas
- Oversee the planning, maintenance, and implementation of CSH’s compensation, benefits, leave, and employee support programs, including contracting and coordinating with external consultants.
- Lead with discretion, empathy, and professionalism any disputes, investigations, performance disciplinary matters, that are rare, but sensitive when they arise.
- Process and coordinate benefit administration and payroll; recruiting, audits, filings, employee requests, onboarding and resignations; leave administration, and implementing HR policies and procedures.
- Ensure our compliance with Federal, state, and local laws and regulations, recommend new and best practices, modify policies and practices to maintain compliance, and lead and meet required state and Federal filings.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, new technologies, and resources applicable to the field and make recommendations for how to improve and support operations at CSH.
- Ensuring a strong culture of performance by facilitating and supporting strong leaders and performance management processes that currently include formal semi-annual and annual performance review process, succession planning process, talent review process, and work planning process.
How we work:
CSH staff are adaptable, entrepreneurial, creative, and flexible problem-solvers. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other—and the communities we serve—with respect. You should share a passion for the CSH mission and possess the skills to meet the expectation of this role to help shape how we share our ambitious mission.
Specifically, we are seeking:
- Experience thriving in an innovative and entrepreneurial environment with a focus on identifying and solving problems and contributing continuous improvements in our HR functions.
- A commitment to continuous learning, curiosity, and being a strong listener, welcoming special projects, and seeking ways to contribute to CSH’s overall business functions in support of our mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. Experience may substitute for formal education. We prefer 7+ years of progressive human resources experience, including at least three years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent organization skills, ability to take initiative, prioritize work, and a strong attention to detail.
- Experience managing all aspects of consultant contracts, including those involving compensation studies, software reviews, benefit reviews, or other HR-related topics.
- Excellent interpersonal, judgment, and decision-making skills, and a commitment to confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong computer skills and experience in Windows-based applications, including MS Word and Excel; HRIS database experience strongly preferred.
- Strong skills in verbal and written communication, facilitation and training, active listening, and the ability to communicate and present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socially-diverse communities.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias, white dominant culture and structures of power, and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities is preferred.
- Project management experience, with demonstrated leadership and organizational skills, and the ability to manage project budgets and deadlines.
- The ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
CSH offers generous benefits, opportunities for professional growth, and competitive salaries based on geographic location. Our HR Director range in the New York market is $110,000 - $145,000. Our ranges are broad, and it is customary for candidates to join CSH at the lower half of the range to leave room for candidates to grow, expand, and develop in the role and range. It is uncommon for starting salaries to fall above the mid-point. We negotiate actual salaries with final candidates based on their exact location, experience in similar roles, and expertise related to the qualifications. This information is offered in support of our commitment to transparency.
Interested in joining our team as a leader in the national supportive housing movement?
To Apply: Candidates should apply through the link. All candidates should attach their Resume and Cover Letter as one Microsoft Word or PDF document. We encourage applications by September 15.
CSH is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.