Title: Director of Legal Services
Experience Level: Management
Job Function: Direct Service / Senior Management
Salary: Starting at $80,000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Type: Full-Time Position/Exempt
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides free immigration legal services to victims of crime and persecution. For 15 years, GAIN has been a nonprofit leader in immigration legal services, providing critical legal and social service support to thousands of men, women, and children from over 118 countries around the world.
GAIN is seeking a Director of Legal Services who will demonstrate a commitment to the organization’s mission, expert understanding of legal protections available to GAIN clients, exemplary skills in internal and external collaboration, and a strong vision for furthering the organization’s impact on the community.
General Duties and Responsibilities
● Oversee the development and success of GAIN's programs, including
direct immigration legal representation, pro bono placements, social service referrals, and any other future expansion of services;
● Direct and support GAIN’s legal team, including staff attorneys, pro bono attorneys, paralegals, interns, navigators, program coordinators, and other staff as assigned, through regular engagement, creation of opportunities for professional development, mentorship, etc.
● Manage GAIN’s caseload of in-house and pro bono cases, providing direction on case acceptance, placement, client confidentiality, and
troubleshooting of issues that may arise during the pendency of the case;
● Actively monitor and evaluate the legal team’s workflow – identifying gaps in service, streamlining intake/consultation procedures, and ensuring effective and efficient, trauma-informed representation of cases;
● Responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of GAIN’s programs including the development of goals and objectives, planning, and evaluation;
● Aid in the recruitment, training and mentorship of GAIN's volunteer attorneys;
● Hires, orient and evaluate staff performance and provide training as needed;
● Participates in the planning, preparation, development, and reporting of grant applications, progress reports, contracts and other necessary work to ensure sustainability of GAIN’s programs.
● Perform additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Senior Leadership Responsibilities:
● Work with GAIN’s senior leadership team to prepare the
organization’s annual budget for Board approval. This includes, providing guidance and recommendations on program goals,
salaries, and other line items essential to the successful operation of GAIN’s programs.
● Collaborate with GAIN’s senior leadership team to inform development initiatives as they relate to GAIN’s programs;
● Work closely with GAIN’s Executive Director to guide organizational growth from a programmatic perspective;
● Serve as a representative of the organization in the community.
Advocacy, Outreach, & Community Partnerships
● Advocate for the rights of vulnerable immigrant populations, with
particular attention to the needs of asylum seekers and immigrant
victims of human trafficking, domestic violence, and sexual assault;
● Participate in local taskforces/committees/coalitions to address issues affecting GAIN’s client population;
● Present, participate, and represent GAIN at local, state, and national trainings, panel presentations, community forums, etc
● Aid in cultivating partnerships with local, state, and federal law
enforcement to the extent needed to protect and further the rights of
● Build and maintain relationships with the pro bono community to
secure ongoing support and a steady stream of volunteers for GAIN
● Continuously evaluate emerging needs in the community and develop programs and policies to aid GAIN’s client population.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
● J.D. Required;
● At least 5 years of relevant work experience;
● Ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders, communities, and governmental organizations;
● Ability to motivate, develop, and direct others;
● Cultural Competency to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds;
● Proven experience in program design and evaluation;
● Proven leadership in developing and maintaining solid community collaborations;
● Ability to credibly and authentically represent GAIN in the community.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
GAIN is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek
applications from people of color, including bilingual and bi-cultural, and
LGBTQIA+ individuals. We are dedicated to providing a work
environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where
employees are treated with respect and dignity.