Community Tech Network (CTN) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with offices in San Francisco, CA and in Austin, TX. Our mission is to transform lives through digital literacy. Our partners include social service agencies, cities, library systems, housing and senior centers serving low-income populations and particularly isolated older adults. Our focus is providing digital literacy training, but we also help clients acquire device and home internet. We are growing a train-the-trainer/capacity building program for partners across the country. We do our work in over five languages and currently have an excellent staff of 15, several regular contractors and a 2022 budget of $1.4 million. We are supported by a Professional Employer Organization, Insperity.
We believe that access to the Internet is a human right, and that those without the skills to use computers and other digital devices are at risk of social and economic disadvantage. Public services and essential information are increasingly moving online, and many people are unable to access these resources. Many fine organizations are working to spread Internet connectivity to the underserved, but access to technology is only a partial solution. Connectivity needs to be coupled with digital skills training that is relevant and delivered in a way that won’t intimidate the adult learner.
About this Opportunity
CTN seeks a hands-on leader to provide overall financial and administrative direction and oversight for the organization. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Finance & Administration Director establishes and implements sound business practices that will ensure CTN’s financial integrity and sustainability and promote effective and efficient operations across departments. The successful candidate will be skilled in established accounting practices, using QuickBooks Online and being able to assess, review and make recommendations for fiscal and operational policies and procedures, including benefits and payroll.
The position will eventually hire and supervise other accounting and administrative staff, with the goal of building and supporting a Finance & Administrative team. This position will also serve as a member of the executive leadership team and provide support to the Board of Directors’ Finance and Audit Committees. The Finance & Administration Director will also work closely with CTN’s audit company to ensure that all audited financial statements are correct and that CTN is following best practices in this area.
You will be supported by a nationally recognized Executive Director/Co-Founder and the current Finance Manager who is retiring October 31st.
This is a remote position.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Oversee and achieve continuous improvement in the implementation of CTN’s financial policies and procedures, ensuring strong financial controls, accurate accounting, and the integrity of systems
- Maximize resources available to the organization through sound financial management practices
- Lead short- and long-term financial planning, including coordination of the annual budgeting process
- Monitor financial performance and ensure timely preparation of monthly and annual financial statements in compliance with FASB and other applicable standards; and monitor budget-to-actual performance
- Prepare cash flow projections and manage cash
- Manage annual independent audit and program audits as necessary
Risk Management, Compliance and Accreditation
- Ensure compliance with all government regulations, including those related to charitable registrations, state and federal grants, and lobbying
- Regularly review risks and ensure that risk reduction policies and procedures are in place and complied with
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverages
- Ensure maintenance and security of CTN assets, records, and facilities
- Oversee emergency preparedness
- Manage human resources and payroll processes with Insperity
- Budget and policy review for personnel actions and updating of CTN’s personnel handbook
- Meet CTN's goals for competitive compensation, including providing high quality benefits packages within our resources
- Manage and/or oversee in coordination with hiring managers: employee recruitments and new employee onboarding
- Ensure that hiring and separations are conducted in accordance with applicable CTN policies and legal requirements
- Support interdepartmental interaction and intra-organizational coordination to enhance organizational performance
- Supervise selection and maintenance of information systems resources, including computer and telecommunications hardware, software, and services; copiers/printers, and other technology
- Ensure maintenance and quality control of CTN’s constituent database, in coordination with CTN’s Salesforce Admin
- Assure that CTN's offices and other facilities are appropriate to its needs
- Administer leases and ensure maintenance and adequacy of physical facilities
- Support management of meeting and event logistics
- Ensure that programs have the administrative systems and support necessary to accomplish goals and objectives, within resource constraints
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate accounting degree required, CPA highly desirable
- Two years of progressively responsible management experience desired, including at least one year of experience in developing and supervising staff
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience managing finances and operations in a nonprofit organization desired
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical experience in nonprofit accounting, finance, grants management, compliance, and reporting, and QuickBooks Online
- Familiarity with Financial Accounting Standards Board requirements for accounting in nonprofit organizations
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future needs, trends, and consequences; and build the organization framework to address dynamic circumstances
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to present financial information effectively
- Proven organizational and prioritization skills
- Commitment to high standards and personal accountability and a passion for excellence
- Commitment to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office’s Word and Excel, Dropbox, Google Suite, QuickBooks Online
- Familiarity with standard office technology and telecommunications devices and services, and the ability to interact with support contractors to secure consistent and reliable support
- A passion for closing the digital divide
$65,000 DOQ including full benefits package with our PEO, Insperity. CTN would like to have this position onboard as soon as possible. Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “CTN Finance & Administration Director” in the subject line. Job open until filled, no phone calls please.