Black Visions, a Minnesota-based, Black-led, Queer, and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence, is seeking a Communications Director.
The Communication Director is responsible for having a strategic "40,000-foot view" of substantive, outward-facing organizational activities, needs, and desires. While also leading the communications team to engineer the development, implementation, and evaluation of our strategic communications initiatives, they will hold at the center of their work the goal of serving Black Visions' members and movement family.
The Communications Director will work closely with the Co-Director, cross-team leadership, and communications staff to develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization.
The Communications Director will be key to our strategic planning process by directly managing and implementing Black Visions' long-term communication and narrative strategies. This role will work to drive critical conversations about the authentic transformation of American democracy and ensure policies reflect and prioritize the needs of Black people.
The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience managing a communications team and developing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns with an analysis of race, class, gender, and ability. They are self-organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and accountable to deadlines. They can work creatively, independently, and collaboratively.
They know how to engage Black people and other key audiences authentically and are willing to be innovative and strategic. They have previous management experience and are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and timelines. Most critical, this candidate must be excited, able, and willing to work within the nuances of a new and emerging Black organization in Minnesota.
Black Visions is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
Pod Management and Leadership
- Lead and manage overall communications and narrative strategy alongside Co-Executive Directors
- Providing thought partnership, strategic guidance, and professional development to our communications pod.
- Manage the communications budget
- Support communications staff in developing campaign materials, resources, and online presence to create compelling campaign-specific messaging and branding
- Manage relationships and projects with communications vendors, consultants, and contractors.
- Directly manage and implement strategies/tactics in service to Black Visions' strategic plan.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a generative communications strategy that is reflective of the organization's overall goals, as well as campaign goals, activities, opinions, beliefs, values, and aspirations
- Lead communications rapid response efforts and interventions alongside Co-Director
- Creating and intervening when appropriate in opportunities for visibility for members, partner organizations, individuals, and allies within our ecosystem
- Work with Communications Strategist to manage media relations, develop strong relationships with media representatives, and identify and maximize media opportunities;
- Manage the editorial direction, development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, toolkits, reports, resources, briefs, emails, videos, direct mail campaigns including adherence to branding and messaging guides;
- Working with Black pollsters, social scientists, dial testers, etc. to deepen our understanding of people's perception of our movement, Abolition, and #DefundPolice
- Manage the creation of creative content to advance Black Visions' campaign messages and uplift the voices of affected communities, partners, and allies, including graphics, photographs, and videos
- Partner with senior staff to create and maintain an overarching organizational narrative, ensuring there is a unified articulation of Black Visions' work
- Participate in organizational planning and coordinate communications efforts to support organizational objectives
- Develop, implement, and evaluate training modules for communications-related tools for staff and membership, including spokesperson and narrative power trainings
- Developing and expanding on communications-related opportunities with allies, strategic partners, entertainment partnerships, etc.
- Act as a spokesperson on behalf of the organization when appropriate
- Be accountable for all communications-related activities spearheaded through the organization, including approving all external communications and resources.
- Manage the coordination of Black Visions communications and digital tactics, including media materials, text campaigns, email blasts, and more
- Support Black Visions' fundraising team in developing compelling narratives for fundraising events and donor appeals
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5-7 years of experience developing and implementing communications strategy and content
- Direct experience managing a communication team/other staff
- Experience living, organizing, and working within Black communities
- Ability to work well in a team and collective settings
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and MSWord
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Proclivity toward curiosity
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision's mission and vision
- Excellent time and project management skills; ability to pivot to meet current events and organizational needs
Must be willing and able to:
- Communicate needs and boundaries as they arise
- Delegate tasks to focus on their primary role
- Speak in front of small and large groups (translation provided as necessary)
- Speak to what Abolition is and why it is essential to Black liberation
- Access to reliable transportation
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Due to in-person interactions during employment, candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated (Two Doses of either Moderna or Pfizer Vaccines or One Dose of J&J as well as all appropriate booster doses) against COVID-19 before commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
Work is performed in a standard office environment which occasionally requires lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside regular business hours, including some evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish the position's requirements.
*Due to COVID-19, Black Visions staff are currently working from home with a few moments (about 1x/month) when staff is expected in person.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
- This position reports directly to the Black Visions Co-Executive Director.
- The organization and role are located in Minneapolis, MN. While our work is currently remote, all Black Visions staff must have a home address in Minnesota.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a complete package of benefits, including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an ample time off policy.
Salary range: $85,000 - $90,000 pending experience
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a resume, cover letter, and two diverse work samples to Recruiting@BlackVisionsMN.org with the subject line "COMMS DIRECTOR -- Your Full Name." We seek to fill this position as soon as possible and are accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In your cover letter, please address the following (one page):
- Do you seek to be/do you identify as a communicator in service to all Black lives? Why or why not?
- What part of communications work is meaningful to you?
- What else qualifies you for this role?
Black Visions is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, BIPOC, disabled, and/or are or have been impacted by systems of oppression to apply.