Reporting to the Manager – Regions, the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Online, drives organizational growth by strengthening and increasing engagement with the volunteer program, as well as, through outreach and networking in areas previously inaccessible or outside our current geographic regions. The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Online will also serve as School on Wheels’ primary online educational platform (Big Blue Button) administrator. A successful Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Online, will consistently meet or exceed School On Wheels’ strategic enrollment, engagement, outreach, and communication goals and be a strong advocate for our programs.
- Recruit volunteers through networking
- Train, support, and retain volunteers- ensure success by providing the resources necessary to tutor students virtually.
- Develop a rapport with volunteers to ensure effective and impactful communication
- Foster a sense of community through immersive brainstorming sessions, held in a group setting
- Conduct outreach at schools, school districts, motels, shelters, group foster homes, and community organizations that were previously inaccessible or outside our current geographic regions, to identify and enroll students eligible for School on Wheels services. Particular focus on San Diego County & the Antelope Valley (Lancaster/Palmdale)
- Work with Regional Team to identify best practices for supporting online tutoring regardless of geography
- Use clear and impactful communication techniques to coordinate with student families and provide resources to parents at shelter events on a regular basis
- Conduct student academic pre-assessments
- Deliver devices, hot spots, school supplies, and backpacks to students
- Identify effective volunteer/student matches
- Organize quarterly events to enhance and celebrate student accomplishments
- Administer Big Blue Button (the School on Wheels Virtual Classroom) and provide administrative and technical support to tutors and students (and their families), platform maintenance, security, and updates
- Conduct online School on Wheels virtual classroom tutor training sessions
- Conduct School on Wheels virtual classroom parent training sessions
- Reporting, database management, and tracking communications with tutors, parents, students, and partners
- Working knowledge of Salesforce or similar database management software.
- Working knowledge of Big Blue Button is a serious plus
- Working knowledge of Google Suite, Zoom
- Passion for education
- Cultural sensitivity
- Empathy for students experiencing homelessness
- Strong communications/presentation experience
- Organizational and time management skills
- At least one year of experience in managing volunteers
- Educational requirement – Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be currently fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Must pass a Livescan Fingerprint background check
Salary and Benefits:
- Hourly rate – $ 20.19-$ 24.04 DOE
- Medical, dental, and vision insurances, 403b plan.
- 10 days per year of paid vacation and 12 paid holidays, plus a day off for your birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Wellness Program
- Professional Development stipend
- Flexibility – flexible working environment and telecommuting, providing enough freedom to spread your wings.
- Autonomy – this position will provide you with a lot of autonomy as you will be required to take charge of projects and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ongoing coaching, training, career planning, and growth opportunities with room for vertical and horizontal mobility within the organization.
- Skill diversification – you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks to develop your skills in many areas.
- Consistent and fair leadership – we’ll listen, share information, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Culture – you will be a part of a passionate, mission-driven team where your ideas and feedback will be listened to and encouraged. You will have opportunities to be a part of team-based projects resulting in bringing change to the organization.
At School on Wheels, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to fulfill our mission of improving students’ lives through education.
To join this dedicated team, submit your cover letter, resume and work and/or writing samples (submitted as links and/or attachments) for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line containing “Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Online”
Our review of your submission will be focused on your passion for and understanding of our cause, meeting our technical and educational requirements as well as the thoroughness of your response. Lived experience plays a major factor for School on Wheels and we encourage you to share those experiences in your cover letter.