Portfolio Associates are responsible for helping to identify potential grant opportunities through robust due diligence of investment areas and organizations, providing consulting or strategic planning support for grantees, and conducting research on areas of interest to build the foundations’ internal knowledge. Associates report to Portfolio Managers and split time working across multiple projects within the Education portfolio. Associates will have broad exposure to the education sector and become active members in the collaborative One8 culture that includes monthly education team meetings, continual brainstorming and knowledge sharing.
Associate responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and due diligence on potential investment areas and organizations.
- Perform all necessary analyses, which may include benchmarking, financial modeling, competitive assessment, and analysis of organizational outcomes.
- Assess quality and sustainability of organizational leadership, strategic plans, and business models.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the One8 Foundation’s areas of concentration; scour sources to get smart on organizations and issue areas.
- Assist in development and refinement of strategic, business and/or implementation plans in partnership with leaders from grantee organizations and/or potential grantees.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions, which focus on issues such as theory of change, model codification, strategic priorities, articulation of outcomes, etc.
- Provide strategic and “block & tackle” support to grantees in the execution of strategic plans, offering analysis and advice on program implementation, outcomes, finances, human capital and other areas.
- Foster strong working relationships and effective channels of communication with leaders from both grantee organizations and potential grantees.
- Prepare investment papers for the One8 Foundation’s board meetings.